Oily Substance on Fuser Rollers

Hey folks, this started showing up on our fuser within the last month. It's had a tech in to look at, and he claims this is 'normal'. In the year plus I've been using this machine, it's the first time I can recall seeing this.

The amount is bad enough I'm also seeing it under the fuser's seat when I swap for envelope fuser (which is not doing this) - I've seen it show up on paper a once or twice.

Can anyone help me figure out if this is indeed routine, or if there's anything I ought to be doing to fix it?

Technical info is that it's a Bizhub Press C1070, and only seems to show up on the regular fuser, not the envelope. I'll update with more info if requested.

Printer Oil 2.jpgPrinter Oil 1.jpg

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Oily Substance on Fuser Rollers

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    Hey folks, this started showing up on our fuser within the last month. It's had a tech in to look at, and he claims this is 'normal'. In the year plus I've been using this machine, it's the first time I can recall seeing this.
    The amount is bad enough I'm also seeing it under the fuser's seat when I swap for envelope fuser (which is not doing this) - I've seen it show up on paper a once or twice.
    Can anyone help me figure out if this is indeed routine, or if there's anything I ought to be doing to fix it?
    Technical info is that it's a Bizhub Press C1070, and only seems to show up on the regular fuser, not the envelope. I'll update with more info if requested.
    oil on hot rollers is common.. they do it to keep the paper from sticking to roller. Thats why we tell people NOT to run INK JET paper thru a LASER based machine... it wicks all the oil off the rollers causes jams and fuser failure.

Has the tech screwed you over before therefore reducing your trust in his abilities?

Not as such, but he can be very... casual about certain problems. Also just wanted to make sure since as I say it was an entirely new occurrence, and has marked paper once or twice.

service technician 50+ Posts

it is common and what life count is on the roller with the pinkesh belt it maybe time for a replacement, i have use alcohol in the past to help clean off the oil using a soft cloth.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I believe the sticky oil that you see exudes from the pressure roller. As it gets closer to 1.2M (yield), you'll see more and more. As you rotate the fuser belt you'll hear the sound like tape ripping off, because the belt is sticking to foam roller.

It looks to me like the pink belt is walking off to one side.

If I were to make a wild guess, it's about 1.2M and time for that rebuild. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopierNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post

I have asked the same in one post and few Seniors replied. I think this oily or sticky substance is toner wax or polymer.which is included in toner and one of its ingredient. A little amount from every print job sticks and gathers on fusing rollers and from the corner as shown in picture its goes inside on foam roller/pressure roller under fusing belt/pink belt. Due to intense and continuous heat this wax changes into this oily substance and become MORE diluted during heavy printing.Becomes sticky on cooling and on low temperature. If you clean it well with IPA, it will appear again after few jobs. As we all know there is no other part or container from where this oil is coming or leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by K-3 View Post
    it is common and what life count is on the roller with the pinkesh belt it maybe time for a replacement, i have use alcohol in the past to help clean off the oil using a soft cloth.
    the pinkish color is a newer style belt. The original belt was the normal red/orange color but would rip prematurely.

The oil buildup is definitely normal and will show up when you run large runs of 8.5 x 11...or 11 x 17...the oil will build up on the ends and show up on the first few sheets of 12 x 18