Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician
    KM C360 Rainbows at the edges of scan/copy

Registered after reading this forum for a long time, looks like there's no shortage of seasoned experts here.
    I've bought a KM C360 with ~160K copies, I had to replace the exposure lamp because it was broken somehow in shipping. Glass was fine, but the exposure lamp was busted, possibly from taking a huge bump in transit so I can't confirm if the replacement is the cause or the problem was pre-existing.
    Attached are some pictures of what I'm dealing with.
    More details:
    • Cleaned all mirrors/lenses/etc
    • Tried every sort of adjustment in the Scan Area service menu
    • Checked alignments of carriage and screws.
    • Problem started with the Blue rainbow at the top, then after cleaning everything exhaustively, the orange rainbow appeared on the bottom going in the sub direction
    • This problem manifests itself with both scanning and copying (one picture below is a scan)
    • These are 11x17 prints and the problem is evident on Letter size as well, just not as much for obvious reasons.

It appears to be some kind of light reflection problem, but I can't figure out what it might be.
    On the orange one at the bottom, there's still a slight blue haze on the top edge.
    I'd be grateful if someone could shed some light on any possibilities.
    I also had compared all the settings against a good working C220 that we have at another satellite office which is virtually the same printer, or at least close enough.
    Both admin and service menu settings were matched up.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

Re: KM C360 Rainbows at the edges of scan/copy

looks like a mirror is slightly out of place. 458 had a simmular problem hads one do this on 17 inch on 224e.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vertigosystems View Post
    Registered after reading this forum for a long time, looks like there's no shortage of seasoned experts here.
    I've bought a KM C360 with ~160K copies, I had to replace the exposure lamp because it was broken somehow in shipping. Glass was fine, but the exposure lamp was busted, possibly from taking a huge bump in transit so I can't confirm if the replacement is the cause or the problem was pre-existing. Attached are some pictures of what I'm dealing with.
    More details:
    • Problem started with the Blue rainbow at the top, then after cleaning everything exhaustively, the orange rainbow appeared on the bottom going in the sub direction
    • This problem manifests itself with both scanning and copying (one picture below is a scan)
    • These are 11x17 prints and the problem is evident on Letter size as well, just not as much for obvious reasons.

It appears to be some kind of light reflection problem, but I can't figure out what it might be.
    On the orange one at the bottom, there's still a slight blue haze on the top edge.
    I also had compared all the settings against a good working C220 that we have at another satellite office which is virtually the same printer, or at least close enough.
    Thanks!
    1) LAMP broke
    does scanner move smooth?
    frame bent?
    didn't notice damage when accepting shipment?

seen it on a Canon w/ same issue female accepted shipment.. didn't notice damage to unit

( fell off skid is my guess)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vertigosystems View Post
    I've bought a KM C360 with ~160K copies, I had to replace the exposure lamp because it was broken somehow in shipping. Glass was fine, but the exposure lamp was busted, possibly from taking a huge bump in transit so I can't confirm if the replacement is the cause or the problem was pre-existing.
    Attached are some pictures of what I'm dealing with.
    More details:

Thanks!
    Prismatic Artifacting...looks like a mirror might be out of place!!!KM C360 Rainbows at the edges of scan/copy

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

If the scan lamp was broken then clearly the scanner unit has taken a large hit, so could be anything, most likely a mirror out of position.

Worst case the whole scanner has been deformed.

Were any covers crack or broken?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    If the scan lamp was broken then clearly the scanner unit has taken a large hit, so could be anything, most likely a mirror out of position.

Worst case the whole scanner has been deformed.

Were any covers crack or broken?
    Copier Tech ..Qbert69.. seems we all concur on the issue.. I'd be curious to find out what damage..mirror out due to bent frame..clearly or move to make copy.
    Yeah should have been claimed.
    New scan bed MIGHT be best resolve ?

Also notice OP said "cleaned Mirrors/Lens" DID he clean the WHITE plate and was it intact? ( seen the "label version peal due to heat) How hard were the mirrors pressed on? Did scanner belt/label slip a tad?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi,

If the mirrors were wrong the damage of the image would be different when try once flom platen glass once from feeder.
    In this series (c220-c360) I've replaced plenty CCD boards.

Gergő

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Copier Tech ..Qbert69.. seems we all concur on the issue.. I'd be curious to find out what damage..mirror out due to bent frame..clearly or move to make copy.
    Yeah should have been claimed.
    New scan bed MIGHT be best resolve ?

Also notice OP said "cleaned Mirrors/Lens" DID he clean the WHITE plate and was it intact? ( seen the "label version peal due to heat) How hard were the mirrors pressed on? Did scanner belt/label slip a tad?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    One of the images....has some red, orange & yellow on the edge, there seems to be some "jitter" or wavy lines which to me looks like the transport is also not flowing smoothly!!!...so perhaps a mirror damaged or slightly out of position AND the transport mechanism racked out of position & slightly sticking. Just my 2 cents worth!!!KM C360 Rainbows at the edges of scan/copy

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Do some copies/scans from DF, as other member suggested.
    Also copy with zoom in/out and report/post pictures here.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It's out of focus, fitting with your scenario of a big hit. There a lot of ways that the scanner can be out of focus:
    The scanner frame can be bent/askew.
    one of the mirror assemblies can be bent.
    Adjusting the CCD focus might help.

The fact that the glass is intact only means that somebody was smart enough to replace the glass before selling it to you.

I'll tell you a little story. The company I was working for at the time sold some color Sharps to a library (Pegasus series) with an aftermarket modification kit to scan bound books. It involved drilling out the spot welds for the left frame member, and using two sided tape to secure an additional mirror #2/#3 assembly to the scanner. Well we got the whole thing assembled alright, but the focus was horrible, it wouldn't do a color calibration, and the extra mirror assembly didn't want to stay attached. We spent a good week on it, and finally got it focused reasonably well on LTR images but the last 50mm of LGR was pretty bad, and it still wouldn't complete a calibration.

I guess that what I'm getting at is that focus is a difficult thing to adjust without the factory jigs, and if you haven't done it before I would enlist the assistance of someone who has. Current manuals do not offer focus adjustments, so the manual won't be of much assistance.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=