Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    4 series lamps, you never know

Came across something interesting and thought maybe it could help someone else. A contract customer with a C224 called and said there was a fuser error on display. Account is at least 75 miles away and only reason I put under contract was the reliability of the 4 series and it is one of my largest accounts with most offices closer to me. Anyway the girl had already gone online and tried resetting holding menu key down while turning on, etc. Didn't work. So I take a fuser out of a machine in shop with only 18K to get them going only one I have at the moment! When I get back to office I have a call from a customer that wants the C224 in my shop! I submitted a proposal for this two months ago and now guy wants machine tomorrow!
    I checked the bad fuser and find one of the lamps is bad figured I'm screwed, customer said fuser error happen right after power outage (in construction trailer). Don't ask me why but I look over and see box of Biz C253 fuser parts on the shelf with a lamp sitting on top, for the hell of it I match it up and BINGO !!! It's the same lamp! Wattage, length etc all same. Only difference was the single blue wire was little longer which I just swapped out (press clip inside big connector and pull wire out). The other 2 white wires in big connector are shorter but will work, you have to plug in before seating fuser

This "miracle" saved me around $500 for a new fuser. I guess you could say "I saw the light" , eh I mean lamp
    Last edited by copyman; 03-06-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Re: 4 series lamps, you never know

C224 delivered today and all good. I still can't believe that lamp was same. Actually this was first C224 fuser I've had to replace and like I posted think it was from a voltage spike (no surge protector, sending them one). Good thing is if the C224 lamps start to fail I have around 6 bad C253 fusers with the orange rollers blown out. At one time I was rebuilding these fusers with aftermarket roller. Have replaced most of them with C224's. Was going to trash them but now will takes lamps out first.

So the hoarding helped
    Whatever

Yes I hate to trash good stuff. I will only get rid of old parts when I don't have any machines left in field. And even then seems like they hang around for a few more years. Only "working" machine I've thrown into a dumpster in recent memory, even with new drum, PM items about a month old, etc was a Biz 601 with 210k on meter. The crash when it fell into empty dumpster was such a great sound! Was almost as happy as when my first child was born

As I've posted on here before that model and all footprints, Di5510, etc,etc. I hated. Never met one I liked or one that liked me! Also posted it might have been a lot better if Kon/Min designed this machine with a waste bottle. What were they thinking with recycling toner in a high volume machine! Paper dust crashed developer around 100k.

Speaking of the 601/751 series machine with a waste btl. A member here (maybe end user) sent me a pm asking for a price of a used Biz 751 waste toner pipe, I tell him $25 shipping INCLUDED. He replies if i would take $15. I tell him no, price is $25 and was basically my time to take it off machine. Shipping will be at least $10 and I'm paying for it! So he said never mind and sends me attached pic saying everything working good. Must say I give him a lot of credit & guts to try this, technician or not. Just when you thought you saw it all......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Yes I hate to trash good stuff. I will only get rid of old parts when I don't have any machines left in field. And even then seems like they hang around for a few more years. Only "working" machine I've thrown into a dumpster in recent memory, even with new drum, PM items about a month old, etc was a Biz 601 with 210k on meter. The crash when it fell into empty dumpster was such a great sound! Was almost as happy as when my first child was born

As I've posted on here before that model and all footprints, Di5510, etc,etc. I hated. Never met one I liked or one that liked me! Also posted it might have been a lot better if Kon/Min designed this machine with a waste bottle. What were they thinking with recycling toner in a high volume machine! Paper dust crashed developer around 100k.

Speaking of the 601/751 series machine with a waste btl. A member here (maybe end user) sent me a pm asking for a price of a used Biz 751 waste toner pipe, I tell him $25 shipping INCLUDED. He replies if i would take $15. I tell him no, price is $25 and was basically my time to take it off machine. Shipping will be at least $10 and I'm paying for it! So he said never mind and sends me attached pic saying everything working good. Must say I give him a lot of credit & guts to try this, technician or not. Just when you thought you saw it all......
    One vote from me for the 'best' Macgyver I've seen in awhile.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Bravo Copyman! Hey, I'm all about keeping old parts until I have no more of that model in the field as well!

I really hate it the way KM doesn't sell individual parts for those fusers, but its a good thing that (at least) they don't fail all that often.

OC