Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Angry Rollers Cleaning

Dear All,

I am a little confused about cleaning of Rubber rollers (Paper Feed Roller, Pickup Roller, Separation Roller) of all Konica Minolta machines from desktop to console , from MFP to color press.

KonMin says "Clean Rollers with Alcohol or IPA" . I have read it in most of the service manuals. But on the other side Alcohol damages the rollers and rollers get cracked or their surface gets plain before life. Alcohol is a cleaning agent but it reacts with rubber and damage it upon frequent cleaning.

So, my question is what is best to cleaning rollers with? Alcohol? Water? any Detergent or caustic Soda?

Please suggest!

Thanks

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Rollers Cleaning

Re: Rollers Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Dear All,

I am a little confused about cleaning of Rubber rollers (Paper Feed Roller, Pickup Roller, Separation Roller) of all Konica Minolta machines from desktop to console , from MFP to color press.

KonMin says "Clean Rollers with Alcohol or IPA" . I have read it in most of the service manuals. But on the other side Alcohol damages the rollers and rollers get cracked or their surface gets plain before life. Alcohol is a cleaning agent but it reacts with rubber and damage it upon frequent cleaning.

So, my question is what is best to cleaning rollers with? Alcohol? Water? any Detergent or caustic Soda?

Please suggest!

Thanks
    Refer to the service manual.

However personally I replace all feed rollers if the machine has a jamming issue or no visit for 50k this is good practice.

And if you replace the rollers remember to reset the life counters this will help the following engineer.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Rollers Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Dear All,

Please suggest!

Thanks
    I use a product called Sel-Sol. It works great for cleaning and doesn't seem to cause any damage.

Rollers Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    I use a product called Sel-Sol. It works great for cleaning and doesn't seem to cause any damage.
    No amount of cleaning can restore WORN rollers!

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Rollers Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    No amount of cleaning can restore WORN rollers!
    Yup. But he didn't ask what to do with worn rollers, he asked how to clean DIRTY rollers

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

There are quite a few threads here on this exact topic. Sel-Sol seems to be preferred by many but it may be hard to purchase depending on your location.
    50k for replacement of rollers on office machines range is a bit too early to my taste and as per manuals. Of course it depends on crap paper customers use, but ours use mostly cheapest they can purchase and KM rollers seems to hold well.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Last year i got bottle of some bad smell (like wd40) liquid for rubber rollers and it works good.
    Before that i cleaned rollers,glass,mirrors,... with mixture of 70% alcohol (96%) and 30% distilled water and never had issue with that in 10 years.
    Few times i even cleaned drum with some bundled toner marks with that mixture and see some shadows on print first few sheets and after that all ok.

Rollers Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Last year i got bottle of some bad smell (like wd40) liquid for rubber rollers and it works good.
    Before that i cleaned rollers,glass,mirrors,... with mixture of 70% alcohol (96%) and 30% distilled water and never had issue with that in 10 years.
    Few times i even cleaned drum with some bundled toner marks with that mixture and see some shadows on print first few sheets and after that all ok.
    Konica will tell you their rollers will last 300k in an ideal world this is true.
    However cheap or recycled paper no.

You can clean off the paper pulp etc this will prolong the life of the feed rollers it all depends on when you/an engineer is expected to return to decide what is viable.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I dont think we have globaly good quality paper in my region but almost all my problems with paper jamming from trays is because separation roller get "flat" spots on its surface.
    Of course it hold pretty much expected life before get flat spots.
    Feed or pickup rollers almost never cause problems for me.
    All this is regarding office machines and 80 gsm paper, production machines is different story where is used many different types and weights of paper.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Rollers Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    This is what myself and the other techs at our company use. Cleans and conditions the rubber, also helps restore the "tackiness" to the rollers when you dry them off.

I've never used Sel-Sol but isn't it a kind of solvent? I would be hesitant to use it regularly but I may pick some up to try. Otherwise, WD-40 to me is the only way to go.