Senior Tech 250+ Posts

C3070 Long Warmup Times + IC417 Connection Problems

So...I have an odd one. This is a C3070 with IC-417 located on a ship, which may be relevant to the problem.

Basically, the C3070 takes anywhere from 25-40 minutes before it even begin to boot up. To be more specific: After turning on SW1 and SW2, the only "sign-of-life" is the blue power light on the control panel. No fans. No motors. No panel backlight. Nothing. Then, out of nowhere, about 30 minutes later, the screen will light up and the machine will boot normally. I can hear a faint click, like a relay, firing just before the machine wakes up.

I was originally called out to install a new HDD / system software on the IC-417 due to reboot/crash issues. The previous tech's theory being that the control problems were causing slow boot up on the main body. So I installed a new HDD (actually used an SSD), and loaded a fresh install of ver2.1. Install went as expected, no errors or anything. But, when it came time to boot the main body and wait for a config sheet / input network settings....nothing. The C3070 woke up a good 35 minutes after I turned it on, and I waited another 30 for a controller config sheet, or for the controller to show as connected. Despite being at "00", the controller will never appear as connected. Multiple agonizingly-long restarts of both the controller and C3070 had the same results. I also found that the C3070 long-boot times will happen even with the IC417 removed from the machine.

At this point, I tried loading the latest base FW (G00-30). No effect. Tried latest special FW (10_gmm30_C1_gc530), also without effect.

Tried installing the old HDD, and unfortunately that one now gives immediate and permanent "FF" when the controller is turned on. New SSD boots super quick and comes to ready "00", but still won't connect.

Now. For the kicker. I have had endless issues over the years with the electrical supply on these ships. On first glance, this machine seemed to be well equipped with a beefy ESP line conditioner:
    IMG_20190606_150622-2.jpg

Me, trusting no one, dug a little deeper:

IMG_20190606_162723-2.jpg

No...it can't be...

IMG_20190606_162710-2.jpg

Yep. The electrician cut the plugs off both the ESP and the C3070, then proceeded to wire the C3070 directly into the wall main and just hide the loose ESP wires inside a wall box. As far as I can tell, whoever installed this spent way more time doing a shitty job than it would have taken to do it correctly. Now, if I wanted to say....unplug the machine...it's a bit of a process. Obviously, I will be having one of the ship's electricians take care of this before further service (they have an identical C3070 sitting right next to this one, with the ESP wired exactly the same).

Now, seeing this electrical situation and observing the bootup problem first hand, I am inclined to believe that there is a failure on one (or more) of the PWB's. Theory manual says something to the effect of: "When SW2 is turned ON, OACB sends signal to DCPS/1, which then supplies 5v and 12v to each control board. DCPS/1 then activates relays RL1 and RL2, which allows AC to flow to DCPS/2. DCPS/2 then gives 24v to all drive boards and options." I would say that puts the blame on OACB and DCPS/1. If there were an issue with the OACB, that might also explain the Fiery connection issues.

So...has anyone seen anything like this on a production machine? Any strong feelings about whether I am or am not on the right path?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: C3070 Long Warmup Times + IC417 Connection Problems

You said there is one next to this, is that one having the same/any issue?

Ive had an issue with a C1060 and the fiery where it would take ages to connect and it was faulty Ram.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

On that 1060, was it RAM in the Fiery itself that caused the slow booting, or RAM in the mainbody?

In my situation, the neighboring C3070 is working normally (so far).

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

it was faulty Ram on the Fiery

We have had the same issue you describe with no display but blue led then waits between10 to 45 mins before bootingup. This was resolved by replacing the OACB pt no A85CH01104. Good luck, Peter and Andy

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thank you SpongeBob! I actually ended up replacing the OACB and DCPS/1 yesterday. Thankfully, those parts did fix the slow boot issue.

Still can't get the fiery to communicate with main body, but I ran out of time and the ship was leaving port.