Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scan to Email yahoo or gmail

I've been using a generic yahoo/gmail address for the machines from address. Just recently i've had an issue with both. Gmail account forced password change and so I changed it....customers call in and I set it back up. After about the 5th machine the account locked up. I can login from the web but it won't send from any of the machines(server connect error). My yahoo account I can log in to as well, but it will not scan anymore for me. I created a new yahoo account and it worked fine for 4-5 machines than each one failed to send again(server connect). I signed up for a gmail business account and pretty much the same thing. It locks up again after a few....mainly do to all the different IP sources in the activity i'm guessing.

So what are people doing for their customers in the field?
    Everyone has the right to be stupid. Some people just abuse this privelage more than others

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Scan to Email yahoo or gmail

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsHot View Post
    I've been using a generic yahoo/gmail address for the machines from address. Just recently i've had an issue with both. Gmail account forced password change and so I changed it....customers call in and I set it back up. After about the 5th machine the account locked up. I can login from the web but it won't send from any of the machines(server connect error). My yahoo account I can log in to as well, but it will not scan anymore for me. I created a new yahoo account and it worked fine for 4-5 machines than each one failed to send again(server connect). I signed up for a gmail business account and pretty much the same thing. It locks up again after a few....mainly do to all the different IP sources in the activity i'm guessing.

If a customer needs scan to email, but doesn't have a specific address for the copier to use...I will create one just for them using gmail (ie: "RandomCompanyscans at gmail...) That way you don't run into gmail locking up because there are 25 different IP addresses using the same email.

Also it makes the customer responsible for email security and if they run into a problem with authentication, I just remind them that it's THEIR email address and they have control over it...not me.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsHot View Post

Make sure you turn on "allow less secure apps"

Also log into this account & check the emails you will get notified of an unrecognised lon in etc all you do is make this a "safe" & they can scan again.

I have one gmail account for multiple users not issue at all.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Make sure you turn on "allow less secure apps"

Also log into this account & check the emails you will get notified of an unrecognised lon in etc all you do is make this a "safe" & they can scan again.

I have one gmail account for multiple users not issue at all.
    Does yahoo have similar setting to change? Been years since anyone asked me to use yahoo address

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rrrohan View Post
    Does yahoo have similar setting to change? Been years since anyone asked me to use yahoo address
    yahoo does have a setting to allow connections from devices that don't meet their "security" standards.

I had to change this setting to enable the default mail client to work with my mothers yahoo account on her pc running debian 10 just this week.

NEVER EVER setup a customers email account or use a generic account for scan to email PERIOD!

Always get the email account information from them or have them set one up.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

customers dont want to be bothered nowadays, or have no IT person to help.
    thats not nice customer service if you refuse to help.
    if you have to setup a gmail for them i dont see the big deal, i just use MFP and the tag# for the name.
    i let them create the password and they have to enter the password themselves. they type it into gmail and the copier once. no big deal.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

I use gmail regularly when a customer has no other option. I set it up and leave them with the details.

There is an issue with privacy in that every scan sent is saved in the sent items folder of that gmail account, unless it is set not to. It needs to be explained to them that it's their responsibility to ensure they are deleted on a regular basis if so desired. Usually customers scanning data of a sensitive nature will be using office365 or their own server anyway, I wont use gmail in these cases.

The Problem is two fold ONE YOU and Company OWN IT when it stops working IE free service calls, 2nd is HUGE Legal issue.
    Always use the customer email settings PERIOD!

Modern email retention laws require all organizations to quickly execute a legal hold on archived email and provide data in the case of litigation.”

Everything to Know About Email Retention Laws
    Last edited by bsm2; 08-03-2019 at 01:46 AM.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

while i genuinely respect your opinion and conviction on the matter, i truly do, but man there is no reason for huge font screaming, i can hear you yelling it on this side of the mason dixon line
    there is no way im going to tell the customer that just bought a $20,000+ copier they cannot scan because they dont know their settings or account info and they dont have a regular IT person.
    as long as i dont use my own addy for recovery email but use any of the customers addy as the contact/recovery. im there to help, not cause anxiety.
    fwiw, i feel just as strongly as you do about people that chip drums or use aftermarket toner or other supplies but i dont scream at them, i do me, they do them.
    years ago i left a service manager position because they insisted on pushing inferior supplies/products on their customers.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.