Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts
    Konica BH C654e  reset HDD lock password issue

Re: Konica BH C654e reset HDD lock password issue

Quote Originally Posted by blazebusiness View Post
    Don't see how that will get me past the current most urgent issue of copier won't boot up at all. It seems like I have got to resolve that issue before I can attempt to deal with the Hard drive problem. In my thinking, the mfp controller is not going to work unless I can load the firmware/do a reset.

But if I'm wrong and If thats's the case..just need to replace the hard drive ..would taking the HDD from another C654e and swapping it work instead? Or do I need to deal with the copier not booting up first?
    Pulled another 320gb HDD from another low meter working 654e and installed in the C654e with the external memory invalid/no boot up C654 and got the same exact message.
    Since the firmware for the mfp did not install properly, I will not be able to address the HDD issue until I fix the boot issue. The following steps to try come to mind:

1. Try to install just the mfp controller software first instead of letting the machine auto install all the firmware.
    2. Try reverting to an earlier version of mfp firmware
    3. Use the reset tool if that does not work to see if the mfp recovers
    4. Replace the mfp pcb

Then, if I can get it too boot, maybe I can finally address the HDD lock password issue.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Left HDD unplugged and then----The machine finally took the mfp controller firmware update after multiple tries. Plugged HDD in again-----Now back (thankfully) to the original problem of HDD lock password.
    Went to admin and entered a new password which was accepted but upon reboot the reset HDD lock password message still appears. Feels good, though, to be just working on that problem instead of the no boot issue. Formatting the HDD now (physical format).
    P.S. For some reason logical format could not be selected.

Anyway, humble thanks for the replies.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I found this on copytechnet and this worked for me.

"From the service mode I had to install the HDD. Then upon reboot, copier displayed "HDD Lock Password", went into Admin mode, Security, HDD Settings, then HDD Lock. The screen came up prompting me to enter a password twice. It rejected a bunch of passwords, finally I entered 123456789101112131415 and it liked it. I guess they wanted a really long password. Entered it again and it accepted it. Rebooted the copier, reformatted the HDD, which took hours, Rebooted the copier and then did a Logical Format. Rebooted again and it worked. At one point the display did say something about an encryption password but I only saw that message once. Copier is all better now. THANKS THANKS THANKS to both of you"

Ok, now up and running:

If you have a machine running Bizhub Secure which is just a fancy way of saying The HDD security features have been enabled, do a complete initialization in service mode to sanitize the unit for the next customer and then enable the HDD you will get the:

"Reset HDD lock password"

No big deal if you know what to do next. But if you reload the firmware without addressing the issue of enabled security, you may have a problem installing the MFP controller firmware and receive a NG download message. All other firmware items will load fine.
    When you cycle power , though, the machine hangs up and displays invalid external memory.

To fix that, unplug the HDD and then insert your thumbdrive and try to reinstall the mfp firmware. Make take a few tries. Took us twice. Then the machine booted up normally again. Reconnected the HDD and now back to the original problem of HDD lock password message. You can solve this easily by:

Go to admin and set a new password. You must choose a 20 digit password. Then go to service mode and do a physical format (yes, it takes forever) and reboot. You may have noticed you cannot choose logical format. When you reboot, go back into service mode , this will now be enabled. You must do the logical format after the physical format to get rid of the HDD Lock password reset message.

After that, machine should have all firmware reinstalled one last time. If not, you may get a C-D012 code. (We did) But that should be resolved by installing the latest firmware one last time.

Learned a lot about Bizhub HDD security on this one.......wanted to be very detailed explaining the fix ----with the hope that this info helps others in the future.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

If bizhub secure is acting with HDD lock password, simply do physical followed by logical HDD format.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Many thanks for this. Was getting pretty much this exact problem on an ex lease C284e. Disconnecting the hard disk allowed us to completely install the latest FW. Just going through the physical format at present.
    Everything that has a beginning, has an end.....