Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    General Firmware question

Re: General Firmware question

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    This Is like saying well my car ain't broke so i'm not taking it for a service!

Preventive maintain is one thing but since you are talking cars you wouldn't replace the tires if the tread is fine and balanced.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It only takes once, updating the firmware ... just because, then discovering 3 or 4 days later that every machine you updated no longer transmits faxes any more. There for a while when we only carried one brand, we would run all new firmware releases on the in-house machines for a week to see if any bugs arose. IMHO you are just as likely to introduce a new issue, as to solve an old issue. I like to have a good reason to update firmware, then sure. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

[QUOTE=copier tech;793765]This Is like saying well my car ain't broke so i'm not taking it for a service!

Agree, if no issues leave well enough alone! after 40+ yrs in this business I've learned "not" to create more work for myself. Over the years I've tried to do everything by the book but have found most of it to cause more work so hardly ever look at serv manuals. Add the poor translation from Jap to Eng makes things worse. I use to automatically update firmware when I bought an off lease machine to resell, but after updating a perfectly good machine and it made machine inoperable I decided to leave F/W alone until absolutely necessary!

If you are having an issue look up that exact symptom on Kon/Min Knowledge base and / or All Solutions, 2nd check special F/W. If nothing listed for that symptom I go ahead and install latest F/W, even if it already has the latest installed. If someone don't have access to Kon/Min a lot of stuff can be found on google / youtube. Don't think you can get Firmware that easily on the internet but a lot of good info like fixes, codes, etc.

I recently posted another firmware question about something I can never get a straight answer on. Does the "latest" "special" F/W have ALL the prior fixes on it or just for that one issue?

[QUOTE=copyman;794095]
    Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    This Is like saying well my car ain't broke so i'm not taking it for a service!

Agree, if no issues leave well enough alone! after 40+ yrs in this business I've learned "not" to create more work for myself. Over the years I've tried to do everything by the book but have found most of it to cause more work so hardly ever look at serv manuals. Add the poor translation from Jap to Eng makes things worse. I use to automatically update firmware when I bought an off lease machine to resell, but after updating a perfectly good machine and it made machine inoperable I decided to leave F/W alone until absolutely necessary!

If you are having an issue look up that exact symptom on Kon/Min Knowledge base and / or All Solutions, 2nd check special F/W. If nothing listed for that symptom I go ahead and install latest F/W, even if it already has the latest installed. If someone don't have access to Kon/Min a lot of stuff can be found on google / youtube. Don't think you can get Firmware that easily on the internet but a lot of good info like fixes, codes, etc.

I recently posted another firmware question about something I can never get a straight answer on. Does the "latest" "special" F/W have ALL the prior fixes on it or just for that one issue?

Special F/W is just that it usually ONLY fixes the problem you are having. Once installed you need to take notice if another tech updates F/W with regular update your problem most likely will return.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I recently posted another firmware question about something I can never get a straight answer on. Does the "latest" "special" F/W have ALL the prior fixes on it or just for that one issue?[/QUOTE]

Short answer, no.

Special firmware is just that. A special fix for a specific problem and doesn’t have generally have previous fixes in it.

They generally have a few special fixes released as they find issues, and then eventually release a mass firmware update which should (in theory at least)contain all the previous updates.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

That is correct. Special firmware is the latest Basic Firmware + a repair to a specific problem. If you don't have the specific problem, use the last Basic Firmware. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    Preventive maintain is one thing but since you are talking cars you wouldn't replace the tires if the tread is fine and balanced.
    I replace feed tyres before they are worn out same with my car.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The base firmware is sometimes a couple of years old versus the special that is sometimes only a month old. So if you install a special firmware that fixes a particular problem: 6 months later there is a new special that fixes another particular problem. You install that one. You'll are saying the new special may remove the fix from the previous one. Does not may sense.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    That is correct. Special firmware is the latest Basic Firmware + a repair to a specific problem. If you don't have the specific problem, use the last Basic Firmware. =^..^=
    This is how I always assumed it was organized. But due to the extreme lack of [pertinent] information from KM, I always install the latest base FW then the special (if needed). It is never stated (that I have seen) that the newer special firmware includes its predecessors' fixes--that being the newest special FW replaces the old special FW.

I fail to understand why KM simply doesn't combine the special FWs into the base FW. This is an extremely lazy practice and creates a convoluted and often confusing ordeal for techs.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Thanks for your input. Anyway, I failed to see what it gives about my question.
    I defer to Synth on this one....

I was just attempting to entertain.