Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    i series toner backup

i series toner backup

Been running into the toner rock issue on the i series causing noise. Had one back up so far it blocked the belt retraction sensor and threw codes. Got close to rolling that a half mile to our compressor to blow out.
    With parts on backorder I've just been vacuuming out the waste and cleaning the belt auger, but just got a callback on a machine from last month. First time I've ran into it the same machine doing it twice, surprising because its the lowest volume of the bunch.
    Last week I got a intermediate waste conveyance assy I ordered way back when the bulletin was released, threw it in this callback. Has anyone confirmed it as a solid solution with the updated spring? Other techs on my team have removed the two shutters involved with luck, but I haven't gone that far

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    i series toner backup

Talking Re: i series toner backup

you can just take out the spring and cut some coils off of it. Not too hard to weasel it out and cut some coils off with some pliers to your liking. Time will tell if you didn't cut enough out. Haven't had to bust out my vacuum since the bizhub 601s then the i series came out.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts avecosat's Avatar

Re: i series toner backup

I have a bunch of machines doing the same thing with 2204 codes. I changed the intermediate waste conveyance assy and so far I haven't had to go back.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyrooks View Post
    you can just take out the spring and cut some coils off of it. Not too hard to weasel it out and cut some coils off with some pliers to your liking. Time will tell if you didn't cut enough out. Haven't had to bust out my vacuum since the bizhub 601s then the i series came out.
    Easy job. I count 6 turns of the spring and snip with cutters, job done.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avecosat View Post
    I have a bunch of machines doing the same thing with 2204 codes. I changed the intermediate waste conveyance assy and so far I haven't had to go back.
    That code is related to the arm on the bottom left where the box goes not returning fast enough. Extra turn on its return spring cures that.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for posting this! I have just started seeing this issue recently on the i series machines.
    I was confused as to what spring to cut, but found the parts bulletin #12670 and figured it out.
    I am going to post a picture of the spring that needs to be cut, in case anyone else is not sure
    which spring to cut.

spring (2).jpg

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SAR View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I have just started seeing this issue recently on the i series machines.
    I was confused as to what spring to cut, but found the parts bulletin #12670 and figured it out.
    I am going to post a picture of the spring that needs to be cut, in case anyone else is not sure
    which spring to cut.

spring (2).jpg

It's this one. Thought I posted it in another thread about this already but couldn't find it.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    i series toner backup

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    It's this one. Thought I posted it in another thread about this already but couldn't find it.
    I had the 2204 error on a c450i today, it was making a noise. There was no buildup of toner, once i reinstalled it the error and noise went away. Should I still cut a few of the coils off the spring?
    Last edited by Cantechman; 03-01-2023 at 03:02 AM.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    i series toner backup

Quote Originally Posted by cantechman
    I had the 2204 error on a c450i today, it was making a noise. There was no buildup of toner, one i reinstalled it the error and noise went away. Should I still cut a few of he coils off the spring?
    Quote Originally Posted by tech51 View Post
    That code is related to the arm on the bottom left where the box goes not returning fast enough. Extra turn on its return spring cures that.
    not related to toner buildup.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    i series toner backup

Quote Originally Posted by SAR View Post
    which spring to cut.

spring (2).jpg
    Since only the tech should be pulling this out we just take out the spring and tape shutter open.