SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts
    Konica C658 seems too warm------

Konica C658 failed with the error code C-3b07 IH input power error, after a SDGE power outage , trouble reset done, code returns.

Replaced the following parts. IHC. Part# A79JM40C00
    IHPU. Part# A8KNM40A02
    NFB. Part# A795M40J00 $199
    Fuser Part# A79JR71099 $875

Machine worked without codes for a week now. Customer called with the concern Konica C658 seems too warm and tiny ticking noise and slight smell.
    I went back out and checked the Internal temp in service mode which was 26 degrees, then it rose to 29 celcius after a print job of 30 pages, in service mode and fuser temp was 157 celcius in standby.

Any insight or thoughts appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Re: Konica C658 seems too warm------

Quote Originally Posted by blazebusiness View Post
    Customer called with the concern Konica C658 seems too warm and tiny ticking noise and slight smell.
    I went back out and checked the Internal temp in service mode which was 26 degrees, then it rose to 29 celcius after a print job of 30 pages, in service mode and fuser temp was 157 celcius in standby.

Any insight or thoughts appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Is the customer getting the idea that it's too warm from the warning message that shows up on the screen when the right-side door is opened? Seems a lot of people can't grasp the idea that it's only a safety warning to prevent them from sticking their hands where they will get burnt. They instead see it as a problem with the machine overheating so place a service call for overheating. On all our machines we have elected to turn off the "Burn Prevention" message in service mode in order to eliminate these frivolous service calls.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    Is the customer getting the idea that it's too warm from the warning message that shows up on the screen when the right-side door is opened? Seems a lot of people can't grasp the idea that it's only a safety warning to prevent them from sticking their hands where they will get burnt. They instead see it as a problem with the machine overheating so place a service call for overheating. On all our machines we have elected to turn off the "Burn Prevention" message in service mode in order to eliminate these frivolous service calls.
    Burn prevention is off in service mode, it's strictly their perception of the heat on the right side of the machine that seems to have prompted their call.
    I put my hand on the black plastic of the right side door, and it did feel warm to the touch in the fuser area. That could be normal I guess with a C658. I've honestly never really paid that much attention to feeling up the door for warmth levels on the C658 model before, to know if it's normal or not. The temp readings in service mode seem normal enough, and the complete absence of error codes make me think everything is ok with the unit.

Side thought, and if a fan in the back of the machine was not functioning properly, in my experience, that too would generate a fan based error code, so I do not suspect it is a ventilation/fan cooling issue.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

I can't speak for the clicking, but if temps look normal, I'd say everything is OK. If it was running hot, or a fan was out, there would definitely be a service code set.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Based on my previous experiences and after you checked it I would call it a day and leave it for good.
    Recently we have to replace a fuser of C227 prematurely a day after that they called for smell and blah blah we went immediately on site and nothing was wrong. Keep in mind we tested machine a lot after fuser install.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I have found any of the models that use IF fusing run very hot. Going back to the C654, etc all run extremly hot. When end user asks me about this I tell them this is normal and machine has safety features if machine was to overheat. Assuring them that copiers do not catch on fire.

Also the IF style fusers are known to make noise when sitting idle, mostly from the cleaning & brush roller bearings / bushings wearing out (probably from excessive heat). This style fuser is only one that uses cleaning rollers.

Also for noise check the gears on rear inside frame that drive fuser.

Thanks much to all who took the time to reply. Much appreciated. I'll let the customer know that the heat doesn't seem to be excessive for a copier using an Inductive Heater (IH) type of fusing system.

Thanks again.