Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bizhub C203

Technician

Bizhub C203

Hi guys,
    I've recently been saddled with the responsibilities of trying to keep my company's copiers up and running, despite the fact that I don’t' have any experience. It seems like these forums have a really active user base, so hopefully I can get enough help to keep them operational. My first question has to do with the Imaging Units on a Bizhub C203.
    One of the units (lets call it A) is displaying a message saying “Replace Imaging Unit Soon,” while the other (lets call it B) has gone beyond that message and says “Change Imaging Unit”. I’ve already gone into the service mode of A and changed the Stop Imaging Unit option to Suspend rather than normal (I didn’t have a no stop). With the hope that A won’t change its message to “Change Imaging Unit” and not let me make copies any more.

So that’s the back-story, now to my questions:

By changing the stop imaging unit option to Suspend have I set up A so it won’t become inoperable with a “Change Imaging Unit” message? Or have I only gotten rid of the annoying “replace Imaging Unit Soon” screen that you have to click “OK” on in order to process a job?

There are posts on the forums that talk about replacing a fuse to reset the counters for the transfer belt and the fuser. Instead of having to rechip each IU is there a fuse that can be used to reset/ignore all the counters on the image units? Is that what this fuse, KONICA MINOLTA (Compatible) Chips - Reset Fuses 0251.062MXL , would be for or is it mislabeled and I’m confusing things because I don’t have much experience.

Thanks in Advance!

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Bizhub C203

First of all, and this criticism is aimed at your bosses and not you, if your bosses think they'll save money by placing an inexperienced (no offense) person in charge, they'll probably be sorely mistaken.

I have no experience chipping IUs, but they use no fuses whatsoever. The only units that you'll be able to reset using fuses are the fusing unit and the transfer belt.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Bizhub C203

mrwho is right in the fact about fuses and chips, there isn't a fuse to reset the IU's.

By setting the Stop Life to suspend, you will still get a message saying that the IU needs to be replaced and still be required to press OK before you can make a copy. As you can probably understand, this can get annoying for customers and can reflect poorly on your service if left for ages as the customer knows that you haven't replaced the units.

Have a look through the forums and look into purchasing yourself an IU Chip Resetter. They are easy to use and some of them are small enough that you can now carry them around with your laptop.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Technician
    Thanks guys! 6 hours after the post I discovered setting the stop IU controller to suspend does NOT take away the message that the IU must be replaced, so I'll be looking into getting the reset chips.

Senior Production Tech 100+ Posts texchar555's Avatar
    what you need to do is just replace the units. your images will be much better.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts buster68's Avatar
    Texchar is correct. Resetting the units will get you a little more life out of them, but your image quality will be compromised. There's a reason for the iu life counters, the drum and developer are both weak at the point when the message appears. But if image quality isn't an issue for you, then carry on.