Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

C652 with J72-15 jams

FS526 w/ Sd-508 mounted on a C652. Since day 1 jam history reflects J72-15 (Center Staple and Fold inlet sensor not actuating, or timed out). Sensor works fine in test mode but replaced anyway. Firmware at ver 57. Only jams on 11x17 booklet (fold) intermittantly. After watching the process for some time, paper starts to enter the saddle stitcher but something is causing the paper to stall enough to cause it to buckle. Inlet guides look fine, no burrs nicks obstructions etc. 8.5x11 works fine. Any thoughts? Emujo

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Is the finisher not aligned with the main body???

Hole punch unit might also be at fault, causing excess drag as it enters the stacker.

Stacker is not aligned level? Its angle to adjust fold and staple skew for example.

Check the torrington clutches...slippage?

Mechanical sensor being intermittant because of poor quality paper? Try heavier stock paper...28-32lb.

Update... still no fix, but I've found the cause... the problem is on both 8x11 and 11x17, but as long as there are less than 10 pages in the booklet, no jams. Anything over 12-13 pages, the 12th or 13th page is crashing into the metal guide bracket at the bottom of the stacker unit. Paper sticks up about 1/2 inch above the rest of the stacked sheets, and next paper fed in hits this sheet and MFP jams up. Working with KM to see if this is a design flaw. EMujo

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar
    We've actually found this problem to be caused by static build up. I have removed the white teflon? strips from the guide plates prior to the folder- no call backs over a year later. The strips are 4 inches and 8 inches long I believe and about 3mm wide. There are 2 of each. I've done this on several machines with success.

Ok, sorry I did not get back to you sooner.

You didn't specify the weight of paper you were using.

This appears to be that you may be exceeding the specifications for this unit.

According to the user manual, section 12, page 10 and 11 in the PDF

Maximum number of sheets that can be center stapled

20 sheets, 19 sheets (21-1/4 lb (80 g/m2))
    or
    16 sheets (23-15/16 (90 g/m2))

+ Thick (55-5/8 lb (209 g/m2)) 1 sheet

Maximum number of folded sheets
    Half-Fold: 3 sheets
    Tri-Fold: 1 sheets

The SD509 can only handle

Maximum number of sheets that can be center stapled
    15 sheets,

14 sheets (15-15/16 lb to 23-15/16 lb (60 g/m2 to 90 g/m2))
    + 1 sheets 15-15/16 lb to 55-5/8 lb (60 g/m2 to 209 g/m2)

Maximum number of folded sheets
    3 sheets

Paper is in specs (at least in weight), can't say for certain that it's high quality, typical stuff from office depot etc.. would like to get some quality hammermill but not gonna buy it on my own for them. Got a response from KM today, they say they can't re-create the problem on anything in the lab so I will try the teflon tapes from the ealier post and keep the forum updated. Once again, any thing under 10-11 sheets runs fine, get over 12 pages and thats when the backup starts. EMujo

Oh yes...I missed part of what you said, about the paper sticking up a little. I concurr...static...

try a fresh ream of better quality....24 lb or 28. If it goes away, static is the problem. Could recommend a humidifier if removing the mylars isn't enough. At the very least, it will help with image reproduction.

Srvtec, can you be a little more specific as to where these teflon stips are? And were you getting J72-15 codes prior to their removal? EMujo

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar
    Sorry for not replying sooner- I was out of the office all day today.

Well, I may have jumped the gun here. I was thinking about the FS608 on the C650 and assumed the FS526 was virtually the same. The code was J72-24 I think, although I'm not sure. I can look up the service record next week when I'm back in the office. I just looked at the parts book for both the FS526 and FS608 and can't even find the Teflon strips I was talking about. If I was at a machine, I could find them in an instant!

There is also a bulletin and Technical Advice Document (TAUS0703856EN02) about static brushes catching the paper as well. The solution is to remove both of the p/n A07U721700 in the stacker unit of the FS608. I also removed the Teflon strips. The Teflon strips are on the plates that the paper slides down to be stacked prior to being stapled and folded. I'm not sure if these are even on the FS526. If they are not, sorry for the confusion!

Wound up removing the mylars (2) at the entrance and 1 in each of the lower catch plates and it seemed to resolve the problem. EMujo