Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Can we connect a Fiery S300 to Bizhub C650??

Can we connect the external Fiery S300 RIP from our C500, to our new Bizhub C650? If not, what Firey external RIP is compatable to the C650?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    The C650 isn't a production machine, and so it doesn't have a free-standing controller like the PRO C500. The only Fiery that works with it is the IC409, which is an embedded controller.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mascan42 View Post
    The C650 isn't a production machine, and so it doesn't have a free-standing controller like the PRO C500. The only Fiery that works with it is the IC409, which is an embedded controller.
    Thanks & do you think the quality can be equal to our old C500 w/ the extenal Fiery?

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keystonenew View Post
    Thanks & do you think the quality can be equal to our old C500 w/ the extenal Fiery?
    Regular paper, yes.

But anything requiring heavier paper stock 200-300gsm, the C500 is superior. In that case, that would be an emphatic no.

The two machines are miles apart based on capabilities. The C650 is an office solution machine where the C500 is meant for print shop locations. The physical capabilities between the two units extend to better colour control overall on the C500.

The C650 with a fiery controller would vastly improve the colour control on the machine, but you are subject to the limitations of the image unit yields and their ability to keep up with production quality levels. Generally, I do not recommend placing a C650 to replace a C500 in print shop environments. Instead, a C6500 or 6501/5501 is a better replacement. They are, for the most part, identical in paper handling and function to the C500.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Thanks for the insight & another helpful post that you've given us. Much appreciated. I think if we get the C5500 fixed, we'll be covered for most anything that comes in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    Regular paper, yes.

But anything requiring heavier paper stock 200-300gsm, the C500 is superior. In that case, that would be an emphatic no.

The two machines are miles apart based on capabilities. The C650 is an office solution machine where the C500 is meant for print shop locations. The physical capabilities between the two units extend to better colour control overall on the C500.

The C650 with a fiery controller would vastly improve the colour control on the machine, but you are subject to the limitations of the image unit yields and their ability to keep up with production quality levels. Generally, I do not recommend placing a C650 to replace a C500 in print shop environments. Instead, a C6500 or 6501/5501 is a better replacement. They are, for the most part, identical in paper handling and function to the C500.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mascan42 View Post
    Can we buy the IC409 used or new from other sources rather than directly from Konica Minolta?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keystonenew View Post
    Can we buy the IC409 used or new from other sources rather than directly from Konica Minolta?
    I'm sure you can probably find one, but be sure to get the interface kit, cables & software as well. Even used it'll probably cost over $2000.