Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Serhat

Can't switch imaging units between machines?

Hello,

I've probably stumbled upon a rather common problem...

We recently sold an imaging unit from a CF2002/3102 machine that we no longer use. The problem is that the customer says that his machine won't accept the unit as full. Apparently, this is by design as Minolta's technical service also confirmed to him that it's not possible to switch components between machines.

As I understand, it is somehow possible to "reset" an imaging unit. I find it surprising this has to be done at all, because there appears to be no technical reason for a fully functioning imaging unit to no longer work.

Could any of you point us in the right direction?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Serhat View Post
    Hello,

I've probably stumbled upon a rather common problem...

We recently sold an imaging unit from a CF2002/3102 machine that we no longer use. The problem is that the customer says that his machine won't accept the unit as full. Apparently, this is by design as Minolta's technical service also confirmed to him that it's not possible to switch components between machines.

As I understand, it is somehow possible to "reset" an imaging unit. I find it surprising this has to be done at all, because there appears to be no technical reason for a fully functioning imaging unit to no longer work.

Could any of you point us in the right direction?
    Was the Image unit a used one from your machine ? If so then you should not expect the customer to see it as FULL as it will not be! The only way to get a full unit is to buy a new one! If you rechip and sell as new then that could be fraud!

Serhat
    The customer was looking on a local ebay for a used imaging unit and I happened to have one that was barely used. Naturally, I did not charge full price and the customer was happy with the deal.

What the customer was not happy with is that his machine won't accept the unit at all. It doesn't work. It still says "replace imaging unit". Thus, the unit is effectively useless. There is no logical reason why one cannot put a unit that was paid full price for in another machine.

That's why I suggested we ask experts on this forum if they can offer any advice.

I hope that someone with a less negative mindset can respond with something more intelligent.

The customer was looking on a local ebay for a used imaging unit and I happened to have one that was barely used. Naturally, I did not charge full price and the customer was happy with the deal.

What the customer was not happy with is that his machine won't accept the unit at all. It doesn't work. It still says "replace imaging unit". Thus, the unit is effectively useless. There is no logical reason why one cannot put a unit that was paid full price for in another machine.

That's why I suggested we ask experts on this forum if they can offer any advice.

I hope that someone with a less negative mindset can respond with something more intelligent.
    Thanks for your concern as to my intelligence, I will no bother to lower myself by replying to your rudeness. I was stating the facts. It is obvious that the customers machine had displayed the Replace Image Unit message and therefore the only way to clear it is ...To fit a new or reset unit. It is not possible for a used one that has already been in one machine to reset this message in another machine. The customer needs to understand his machine as well.

Serhat
    It looks like I ran into the forum troll?

Please, we would appreciate any serious answers from other people.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    You had a serious response from a serious tech.

Here is another.

Your image unit that you sold has a chip on it.

When you used it, your machine triggered a reset in its internal counter and changed a bit setting on the IU itself. This IU is considered "used" and will not reset another count cycle on any machine.

You could of course, purchase a chip reset device, seen advertised on this site.

Or give the person you sold the unit(s) too back and let them purchase from a legitimate KM supplier.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

It looks like I ran into the forum troll?

Please, we would appreciate any serious answers from other people.
    Well thankyou kind sir..do not expect to get any further assistance from me!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    You had a serious response from a serious tech.

Here is another.

Your image unit that you sold has a chip on it.

When you used it, your machine triggered a reset in its internal counter and changed a bit setting on the IU itself. This IU is considered "used" and will not reset another count cycle on any machine.

You could of course, purchase a chip reset device, seen advertised on this site.

Or give the person you sold the unit(s) too back and let them purchase from a legitimate KM supplier.
    Thank you for your support, may I second your suggestions ref the above!
    Last edited by minimerlin; 12-29-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo error

Serhat
    I think that is the best option. We will look into that. It should also help him get more lifetime out of his other units. The machine is EOL anyway, so there's no "real" harm he can do to it.

I've offered to take the unit back, but he sees it as a waste to not recycle an otherwise fully functional unit. It would be a shame if I'd just have to dispose of the unit.

minimerlin: perhaps this was a case of miscommunication. I understood from your initial response that you considered the possibility that I was trying to scam my customer. I found that very offensive. But if I misread this, then let me apologize for that.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    This forum has gone to the dogs! Filled with cheapa** end users and unauthorized third party wannabees. Soooo sad! I mostly come here for the games lately.