Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

3102 Transfer Roller Cleaning...

Has anyone tested what is safe to use on these rollers? Fedron? LOL! I was thinking of trying 99% isopropyl but wanted to check and see if anyone has a damage proof method.
    Thanks!
    EVIL

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Has anyone tested what is safe to use on these rollers? Fedron? LOL! I was thinking of trying 99% isopropyl but wanted to check and see if anyone has a damage proof method.
    Thanks!
    EVIL
    I would suggest that you did not try to clean that roller! It is a vital part for good transfer in that it is a charged roller, therefore any liquid that you use will probably damage it. Is it just a bit dusty looking or are your printouts/copies bad? It may have reached its life?
    The only item I use ever on these rollers is a clean soft brush!

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by minimerlin View Post
    I would suggest that you did not try to clean that roller! It is a vital part for good transfer in that it is a charged roller, therefore any liquid that you use will probably damage it. Is it just a bit dusty looking or are your printouts/copies bad? It may have reached its life?
    The only item I use ever on these rollers is a clean soft brush!

I've found that most times, though cleaning will help when dealing with backside transfer to paper from this roller, that it is best to replace this when I replace the belt unit. Toner and other crap that gets into the sponge can really wreak havoc on 2nd transfer potentials.

In a pinch, I use the shop vac with brush attachment. But even then...
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Yeah, what they said. Only a cloth or vacuum, no liquids.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Since long we are cleaning them with water and a few drops of dish-washing liquid:

Clean the roller first with compressed air as much as possible, then soak the roller in plain water (to avoid that the water/detergent mixture used later on penetrates too much). Now the roller can be cleaned with the water/detergent mixture and a sponge by rubbing off carefully without damaging the roller surface.

After thorough rinsing with plain water and blowing as much water as possible out with compressed air we leave them to dry overnight.

Worked very well until now for us.

Hans
    Last edited by Hansoon; 01-01-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Since long we are cleaning them with water and a few drops of dish-washing liquid:

Clean the roller first with compressed air as much as possible, then soak the roller in plain water (to avoid that the water/detergent mixture used later on penetrates too much). Now the roller can be cleaned with the water/detergent mixture and a sponge by rubbing off carefully without damaging the roller surface.

After thorough rinsing with plain water and blowing as much water as possible out with compressed air we leave them to dry overnight.

Worked very well until now for us.

Hans

Hey Hans,
    OOOH! I like this method. I will give it a try and report back with my findings. I just want to remove some of the text that stuck to the roller from misfeeds. I have extra rollers if I mess one up. Thanks a lot for everyone's comments!
    EVIL