Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Unhappy Imaging Unit K - image quality problem

We have an image quality problem with our Konica C550. The top 3-4 inches of all the pages printed are splotchy black. I pulled the black IU and there was a ton of loose toner on the imaging unit that looks like it is causing it. We cleaned the unit up real good and replaced the black imaging unit and everything worked perfect for about 2 weeks......and this morning it is back. Sure enough I pulled out the Imaging unit and the same problem occured. I also noticed a possible seemingly unrelated error code P-21 now on the unit.

Any ideas?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    The image unit is spilling developer and will need to be replaced (they are not repairable). When you fit the new unit, pad out the lower part of the locking arm so that the unit has minimal free play. This should ensure the unit does not loose contact with its electrical connections inside the machine which contributes to this problem.

Technician
    Can there be any other problem? It just seems like the chances are too high that we would have 2 imaging units doing the same thing, especially when one is brand new. I've padded out the existing (but new in the last 2 weeks) imaging unit BUT it didn't help. It just happened again this morning. Once they spill developer are they ruined? Since Konica came out here and installed this imaging unit should they be responsible for replacing it at 2 weeks old. I paid $425 for it. We needed it quickly and that is why we bought it from them. Usually I order over the internet and can get for around $300.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    This problem can be a money pit type of thing. common causes are loose contacts, bad lot of toner, blown hv board. blown printer contol board, mfp board, print head unit. Outside chance of dc power supply unit.
    You really should call a konica certified company to fix this problem!!!!

Technician
    I did call a Konica Certified Company. The tech came out and replaced the imaging unit. Said it is self contained and that would be the only problem. I asked him surely there is something up the line it could be? He said it only could be the imaging unit. I told him it keeps happening.

Quick question on how likely it might be the HV board, Printer control Board, MFP Board, Print Head Unit. Is it likely that it is one of those if after I clean the imaging unit off it works great for days or would we be having problems often or all the time? Color hasn't had a problem at all.

Same problem, here, with C550.

I am experiencing the same problem with a C550. I have replaced the black imaging unit twice, now. The 1st time the problem was assciated with a ticking noise at the front of the machine. Replaced the imaging unit and it went away. Now, three weeks later it's back, without the noise! Replaced the imaging unit and it went away again. The symptoms sound the same as what you're experiencing. Toner collecting at the front of the drum. As if the blade wasn't cleaning anymore. The copy comes out with a shaded area and you can feel the developer on the paper.

A key question would be are your mechines displaying any alert codes like say p14?. and as to the tech saying hes sure its only the image unit causing the problems get him to put it in wrighting, and make him come back and fix it for free when it happens again.

Technician
    I do have an alert code of P-14! In my first post I had a P-21 (mentioned) but now I don't have a P-21, just a P-14.

I'm very intimidated by the tech as he is a tech and I am not, if you get my drift. I don't have access to the knowledge base as he does as I can't talk to Konica direct myself, lookup TSB's etc. I tried to suggest to him that he needs to contact Konica to see if they have any ideas. Thanks!

Technician
    One more thing, it continues to print fine, I suppose until it dumps developer again. I put a piece of paper behind the IU lever so there is no way the imaging unit can move. I did see another post here that talks about a similar problem. They suggested Print Heads as a potential problem. Also said to check the lot of IU as there is a bulletin about them and something about modifying them. Again I don't have access to the bulletin so I don't think I can check this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

i do the inshop repairs for a konica branch. i have seen 5 units in the same family as yours do this after the feild techs had already replaced all the boards and power supplys and they still spewd developer. the first time i saw i replaced all the boards that the feild guy said he'd already done, just to be sure, it did'nt fix it. as a last resort i replaced the print head unit. and that fixed it. the next 4 times the print head was either the first or second unit replaced and it fixed them all. dont get me wrong it could be any of the boards or a loose connection but when i've seen the p14 issue its the print head i go after first. also replace the affected image unit at the same time due to lost developer.