Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Try this for giggles. ( I KNOW they will whine if you mention it to them) but... take the copier OFF of the surge protector over night and see if you get the lock up issue's.

If you can get a hold of (or the copier company should have one) a line tester. It will read the voltage of the wall and do a print out of any surges or spikes or lags.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    have your tech replace the mfp board, (if he has already tried the firmware fixes that is)

pallytank
    This is exactly, word for word, the issue I'm having right now. Was there a resolution?

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pallytank View Post
    This is exactly, word for word, the issue I'm having right now. Was there a resolution?

Generally, this problem is common with this series of machine.

On all lockups or unexplainable events I generally recommend the user cycle the main power switch. But I always tell them that if they get a common failure, such as this network issue, that there may be more to it. In situations where the problems are random, such as a drawer refuses to feed one day, the scanner fails a week or so later, the problem is more than likely power related.

In situations where power is questionable, RRogers mentions one of the troubleshooting steps is to remove the power conditioner (ESP device) and plug directly into the wall and observe what happens for a period of time. How long depends on the frequency of the failures, so this is subjective. The ESP device is designed to prevent poor power situations from creating random problems, but like any electronic device, even these can fail without warning. If the removal of the device solves the problem, replace it. KM should replace this device without question. It is to our advantage to do so, as this device is guaranteed to protect the device plugged into it from electrical damage, the kind that destroys electronics.

If you do not have an ESP device, get one installed. These are considered mandatory sales items here in Calgary.

That said, these do not guarantee your power will be enough for the copier. For example, the power circuit to the wall might not be dedicated, as it should be. I tell customers who are having random issues to ensure that the AC line the copier is on, is not sharing anything else on the same circuit. If there are other devices, such as another copier, or a printer of some kind or a shredder or a computer, I cannot guarantee reliable operation. These machines are power hogs and do not like to share.

If you followed all the previous recommendations listed before this post, many of those will resolve common problems. But if none of those resolves the issue, there are power line monitors that can be put in line, similar to an ESP. Most do pretty much the same thing, they monitor your power line over a given time and provide you an output of the high voltage peaks and low voltage sags. Some are quite simple, while others are very sophisticated and can provide detailed information over a set period of time. Your copier tech might have one, but do not expect them to have one. These are expensive items. Typically, an electrician is more likely to have something like this. This gives peace of mind regarding the AC power to the machine.

If the AC passes the muster, then there is likely an issue with the machine. There are many components that can cause all sorts of issues in a machine. Especially if those components all share the same power rail from the PSU. Most often, it may be the MCB, or the PRCB, and of course, the PSU, but is not limited to those items. Bad RAM or a failing hard disk can cause issues as well. Troubleshooting an issue of this nature can be time consuming.

First things I would recommend for you....

1. Ensure the firmware is up to version R6. Your technician should at least make the effort to this effect, it can fix many problems, including issues like this.
    2. Check all electrical connections regarding the PRCB and MCB boards, even reseat them. Oxidized connectors can wreak havoc in unpredictable ways.
    3. Eliminate any possible bad switch or router port. Changing to another port on those devices may be all that was needed. Change the network cable/bypass the in wall line by going to another wall port.
    4. Check for a dedicated AC circuit.
    5. Check for construction nearby.
    6. Do a Factory initialize. Ensure user data is backed up before this happens.
    7. Replace RAM modules.
    8. Replace MCB or PRCB (eliminate AC issues as mentioned above if you need to order these boards, something to do while waiting for them to be shipped)
    9. Replace PSU.
    10. Break out the shot gun, be sure no children are nearby to witness the carnage.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    "SPECIAL" firmware version GFF-R6

2.2 Fixed issues.
    1. If turn on the sub switch more than ten seconds later after turn on the main switch, setting value of the SD-505 is cleared.
    2. MFP falls off the network and you cannot perform PC Print, Scan to E-mail/SMB and PageScope Web Connection.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

first change the ip address and see it it corrects the drop off , its just that simple we had a unit kick our butts and found someone was printing using the wrong print driver and locking up the machine

Konica Minolta Technician 50+ Posts Spidula's Avatar
    Hi

Read through this as we are having the same kind of problem with a C451. It now has a surge protector and network filter on it along with most recent R6 f/w. Its had the MFP and NVRAM checked and a new PSB put on it. Still always locks up in the morning.

The ops panel displays the following message when its locked up "Due to an alert the panel is illuminated" - I have never seen this. Have any of you guys??

I'm not sure if we have took the m/c out of sleep mode so could try that. However, the customer has several konicas with the same locking up problem, not just C451.

They also changed the network service provider and recently had a brand new generator installed next to the building.

Any suggestions??

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    if it was just one machine doing this, I would say that there was likely a problem specific to that machine, though not necessarily that machine. The previous suggestions would at some point resolve issues like this.

In the case of multiple machines and some of the description of the environment you mentioned, power is quite likely the fault.

Obtain a power line monitor and plug it in where the machine is and review what the power line was doing for a day or two. This is not always practical to obtain one, they are expensive. Sometimes a power conditioner will resolve problems related to poor power, but it will not resolve problems where there is insufficient power getting to the machine. For example, if the line is supposed to be 120v and is constantly below 110v over a 24 hour period, the machine will most likely have some kind of failure at some point due to power sags (someone turns on their computer, or runs the microwave). The only sure way to know for certain in such cases is with a line monitor.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.