Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    troysorzano

bizhub C650 crashes / locks up.

I am an IT guy not a copier guy. We have had our bizhub C650 for a few years. Just recently it started "crashing". When I say crash I can no longer print to it, I can no longer get into the web management interface with IE or firefox.

I can ping it and I can telnet to port 80 and get a connection. I have verified that no other device has the same IP we are using a static IP for the C650 and if I unplug the network cable I can no longer ping or telnet to port 80. As you would expect since I can ping it I can see the tx/rx lights on the network jack. Only solution I have found is to power cycle the C650 and it will run for a random number of days before it crashes again. I though it was a bad network cable or run screwing up the C650 and making it crash. So I swapped the cables, network drop and switch port with the canon copier right next to it. Same issue, C650 will randomly lock-up/crash, canon keeps running.

At this point I had the copier guy come out when it was in a locked up state so he could see it. He plugged his laptop into it. Could not get connected to it so he power cycled it. He said he found no errors. He did upgrade the firmware. He said the problem was my network or print server. I tried to get an explanation on how my network or print server could crash the copier. But he just told me there were no error codes and there was nothing wrong with the copier. My print server is running the latest PCL drivers. So when he left I set up my network monitoring software to ping and connect to the management HTTP interface every 5min and alert me when it failed. Well tonight, Friday night at 7pm it crashed again. I am 99% sure no one was in the office printing or scanning. I can ping the C650 and I can telnet to port 80. But I can not get the administrator web interface in IE or firefox. Nor can I print or mange the printer setting from my print server.

So now that I have it crashed is there anything I should check befor power cycling it? Should I go into some secret admin/tech page on the copier to look for error codes?

Thanks for any pointers as my copier vendor has left it up to me to resolve.

Troy

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

May I make a suggestion or a troubleshooting aid, I know you said you switched ports and cables etc. As a controlled test in situations like this I like to put in a small test uplink switch like a small dlink or linksys in between the machine and the wall jack.. if it still goes down after that then I'd leave it connected to the switch but perhaps not the wall jack and monitor it for a period of time, job permitting. Is it in sleep mode? have you tried no sleep? Just some ideas, especially if the tech has already updated to the latest firmware.

Regards...
    A.

troysorzano
    I forgot to mention I did put a mini 5 port switch between the C650 and the wall. It is in place now when it locked up.

The lockups are so random I don't think I can leave it off line that long. After the copier guy left it took 2 hours. We power cycled it. Then it took 2 days. We power cycled it. This time it took about 9 days. Interesting that you mention sleep mode. It was something they asked us to test before the tech came out. They wanted us to power cycle in the AM and see if we had problems during the day. I belive we rule out sleep mode when it continued to work for more then 1 day. I assume it sleeps at night and auto wakes up on the first job. So some times we get 2 days or this time we got 9 wake ups.

Are you saying I should disable sleep mode?

Thanks

Troy

Thats a thought and may be worth a try, also have you had the power to the machine checked for consistency using a power monitor? Also does the machine have an ESP surge device on it? Power glitches and surges can reign havoc with a lot of newer machines and a machine like that needs to be on 120V 20A dedicated line for good power. Your service tech can enable "no sleep" mode from service mode and then in util/ctr > administrator mode, you can set the power save to no sleep (as opposed to 240 min).. May be worth a shot. Failing that, it could "tentatively" be a failing psu or maybe MFP board. (encompasses the embedded nic). Might even be "special" firmware for this sort of issue but I'd have to dig thru the pile and check em all (theres quite a few).

Regards!
    A.

Office systems expert 50+ Posts kon's Avatar

hope this helps

Solution ID
    TAUS0703323EN* Solution Usage 9

Description
    NIC not responding; unable toPING the MFP.MFP drops off the network.Must reboot theMFP in order to get the machine back online.MFP locks up.
    Solution
    CAUSE: Failed NIC.
    SOLUTION:Replace the PWB-MFP; the NICis part of the PWB-MFP.Flash theMFP to most current firmware version after board replacement.
    PARTS : bizhub C550 PWB-MFPB (p/n A00J H020 07); bizhub C451 PWB-MFPB (p/n A00J H020 07); bizhub C650 PWB-MFPB (p/n A00J H021 00).
    Solution ID
    TAUS0800442EN* Solution Usage 2

Description
    NIC drops off the network after receiving an RSVP packet.
    Solution
    CAUSE:Firmware upgrade required.
    Copyright 2009, Konica Minolta Business Solutions U.S.A., Inc. November 2009
    bizhub C650 Warm-up, wrong display, incorrect operation, lock-up
    SOLUTION: Please download file C451_A00K0Y0-F000-GW9-6M.exe from the KMBS Download Selector.Install firmware on the bizhub C650 and report
    back while onsite. If this does not correct the issue, there is an unreleased version of the firmware that ESS can provide.

also increase the network timeout on the mfp

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by troysorzano View Post
    I forgot to mention I did put a mini 5 port switch between the C650 and the wall. It is in place now when it locked up.

The lockups are so random I don't think I can leave it off line that long. After the copier guy left it took 2 hours. We power cycled it. Then it took 2 days. We power cycled it. This time it took about 9 days. Interesting that you mention sleep mode. It was something they asked us to test before the tech came out. They wanted us to power cycle in the AM and see if we had problems during the day. I belive we rule out sleep mode when it continued to work for more then 1 day. I assume it sleeps at night and auto wakes up on the first job. So some times we get 2 days or this time we got 9 wake ups.

Are you saying I should disable sleep mode?

Thanks

Troy
    Do you have a Fiery?
    Have they formated the HD on the copier? Do you have a surge protector on the copier?
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

troysorzano
    RRodgers,

I doubt we have a Fiery. I only see 1 NIC. I understand that Fiery is used for advanced desktop publishing or something like that as I have only heard the term at graphics or publishing shops. Is there a simple check I can do. We use our C650 for copy, PCL print in color/bw, scan to SMB using mode memory for PDF compression, "lock box" so our Virtual office employees can print to the C650 and when they come in the office for the Friday meeting pick their box and print out the jobs.

When they did our service call they power cycled, ran some tests then backed up our config, loaded firmware and reloaded config. At that point we realized that they had not backed up our scan "mode memory" setting so we had to re-enter 57 entries by hand. We were not happy. Is there any way we can export the scan mode memory to CSV so we can later import them? I know some other copiers we have allow us to do that from the web interface. We do have the admin login for the web interface. I do not know if they re-formatted the HDD. I can check.

Yes our copier company provided the surge protector box that does power and network protection for one network cable.
    But from kon's post solution TAUS0703323EN* it seems like a bad NIC which makes sence to me from all the troubleshooting I have done. I am a network guy not a copier guy, one thing I do know how to do is troubleshoot networks. I very much appreciate all the help this forum has given. In less then a 1/2 a day I have had more help then we got from our copier vendor over the last month.

Should I request that the copier vendor replace the NIC? Or should they format the HDD. My gut say NIC like my gut has said networking issue from day one, and why I blamed my cable runs, cables and switches. I think HDD format is a long shot and does not make sense to a network guy but I am leaving that call up to you guys.

Thanks,

Troy

troysorzano
    Kon,

That is odd it sounds exactly like what I reported to my copier tech. He did say he "checked" the konica knowledge base. I guess he did not see this article.

I am going to have my copier vendor check this out.

Thank you very much!

Troy

Office systems expert 50+ Posts kon's Avatar
    You should be able to BU address book thru web Utility

(5) Format HDD
    Functions • To conduct logical formatting of HDD.
    Use • To initialize HDD.

NOTE
    • It is subject to logical formatting here, therefore if starting with physical formatting,
    follow as [Service Mode]
    [State Confirmation] [Memory/HDD
    Adj.]
    [HDD Format].

Setting/
    Proced
    ure

Touch [HDD Formatting].

Select [Yes] on the confirmation screen and touch [OK].

Turn off the main power switch and turn it on again more than 10 seconds after.
    The following data will be lost after HDD formatting.
    Address data

Authentication data : Authentication mode, user authentication setting,
    account track setting

Box setting data : Box and text in the box, setting information of each
    box, box for fax

Job history, fax transmission history

The "nic" isnt a separate card like a legacy network card of a pc more like the embedded nic's on most current pc motherboards.. Not just a matter of replacing a $50 nic. You have a service contract presumably? And if so you are supported by an authorized konica dealer? If so maybe they can request a t-shooting board (like we can here in Canada) to test to see if the problem is that board or not.. (not sure if your in Canada or not) Here we can request a tester to help tshooting probs especially it it's an expensive part like that one.

Regards!
    A.