Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts

Kon Min C550 color won't stay in calibration

I got an account that is serviced by Milner the last year and they do about 20K copies a month.

Wheher a short run or long run, C550 color won't stay calibrated - sometimes problem will start of the 5th, sometimes it could be the hundreth - anyone have a suggestion as to what causes this? MIlner does not know and they want to uprade the customer who doesn't want to spend the cash to do so.

Can you attach samples of the problem?

samples

I have asked my customer to email me a few. I asked him if they ever told him to use a densitometer and he said no - which I though odd seeing that he was having color degradation issues.

Also, I tihnk he is doing rather long runs at one time a month, too. If that helps.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Had the same problem it ended up being a laser. Kind of a pain to install but it worked. If I could see a copy I could confirm.

sample of color degradation 3 page PDF docs

The laser unit had been swapped out on this unit - here attached are samples and as scroll one, two, three pages you can see colors changing

again, it can stay like first page for 5, or 20, maybe 100 even but at some point the color changes start as seen in these examples

thanks in advance for your advice
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Not currently in my office but it looks like the problem I had. Each color has its own laser have all the laser units been replaced? I only had to replace the one for yellow but that threw off my colors.Also if the laser unit is not installed perfect it will not calibrate. Hope this helps. Let me know. I will be back in my office monday and can probably be able to better help.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Does the color go in and out? Like it will be ok one one page and bad on another? You did say on long runs... generally are the prints in the start of the run ok but generally the one's toward the end are bad? When kinda paper is it? Kinda think?!?! just reg 20 lb stuff?
    I'd say just for giggles crank up the fuser temp a few degree's. But I might be reaching a little.

When was the last time the Transfer roll and transfbelt replaced? They are not fused right? (I wouldn't recommend fusing on this box or chipping) I think there are some settings (in tech mode) that will let me machine do an internal calibration a little more often to be sure that the toners are always staying at there proper lvl's and you are not starving anything.
    Hmmm... let me think on this some more.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Update on what has been replaced

Here is a list of parts that have been replaced in this machine:

MFP board,all lasers (unit), both H.V. units, all image units and transfer belt (all new). Also firmware and NVRAM. A line monitor has tested the power with nothing out of the ordinary. The customer has been turning off the breaker at the end of the day which is not adviseable for any active electronic device.

Sometimes copies can be perfect one copy, the next copy the blues can be purplish. This also happens on internal test charts. Colors can be correct, turn machine off and on and colors will be off. We have tried several I.U.'s with the same results.

Main issue is that output takes on a magenta cast.

Any advice appreciated!

Have you been the only tech to service? If not try a factory reset, then go through adjustments. Maybe someone messed with settings. IDC sensors dirty or faulty, causing stabilization issues? initialize and calibrate? does calibration come back ok, or does it error?