levi

what size and weight paper ?

random
    Is the floor level?

mgutski
    is the skew first side or second side?

Technician
    sorry for the delay
    Customer is using only 13x19 paper and the weight from 170,216,250,285 gsm,the skew is in the front side.The floor is level and the pf was installed and checked with leveler.
    thanks all

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Just dealt with one of these where tray 4 was OK but got this type skew from tray 5. PF unit appeared level but not quite. Sounds strange but we REALLY got it level. Attach pins would slide in and out with fingers and using a 3 foot construction level got the corners and crosswise level to exactly within the level bubble lines. Ended up with some blocks under the PF unit feet in one corner. Fixed this one - maybe yours too?

I have a same problem.

Some times image is shifting or skewing on 13x19 heavy 300gsm stock Coated-MO.
    Centering, Restart timing, FD and CD adjustments are made, but few days later same problem appears again.

- Centering sensos (PF and ADU) must be on or off?
    - 3mm gap from PF does it matters?
    - FD,CD,Centering,Restart Timin must be done with A3 paper(11x17) or 13x19 or anything else customers using and what wheight.
    - Skew can be corrected from ADU mechanical adjustment or from CD Skew software adj?

thanks for reading

Is that 2mm skew on first side or is it 2mm front/back? (1mm front/ 1mm back)

1mm per side is normal. really you might get it spot on but it will wander 0.75-1mm through out the run. Re-educate your customer.

Note: Specs for skew is 0.5% over the length, So for 320x450mm skew would be 2.25mm per side. (450x0.5%=2.25)

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    see my attached document for information on how to set the PFU. Just because a level says it is level, does not mean it is even with the machine. Bubble levels, far too much variance in this analog method. A tiny bit of unlevel relative to the main body and the PFU can result in a skew.

Making sure the lock pins are nice and loose (easy to remove or insert) is only part of the equation.

The attached document illustrates the rest.

Also, not noted in the document is the entrance rollers of the ADU itself. There are two hard plastic rollers held against the rubber rollers below, kept relatively tight against them with springs over the shaft.

Sometimes, the user might get a jam where the paper is mostly in the ADU, but some of it is still in the exit of the PFU, not enough to grab onto and remove. The ADU is normally locked to prevent it from being pulled out in these cases. Unlocking it, the paper will be pulled to the rear of the ADU and eventually bunch up and tear. This presents two problems for us techs to fix.

One, removing any bits of paper stuck in the path of the horizontal section of the PFU, and the entrance to the machine mainbody. Second, bunched up paper in the entrance to the ADU will force the two plates apart, causing an imbalance of pressure on the ADU entrance rollers. This imbalance can result in skewing, especially in light stock or small paper formats. Large paper format can also skew, but not as noticeable.

The fix for this is to reduce the gap. I check the shaft of the hard rollers, relative to the plate tabs they sit inside at each side. There is normally a small gap, about 1 mm, above and below this shaft and the metal tab holding that shaft on each side. The rear side, more often than not, may have no gap below the shaft. The roller on that side will not have enough pinch and the paper will tend to drift as a result.

The fix I do which is fairly easy, is to remove the first screw on the top guide plate, front side and back side. It is the only one accessable without removing anything. The second screws holding this plate going towards the fuser are not so easy to remove. Leave those. What I then do is place my screwdriver in between the two plates, in the area where the screw used to be, and gently pinch the upper and lower plates together. Replace the screws and check the clearance of the shaft as noted earlier. Repeat until an acceptable gap is attained. Be careful as to not warp the entrance of each plate, like I said, be careful. The idea here is to level the pinch of the rollers and nothing else.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    The fix I do which is fairly easy, is to remove the first screw on the top guide plate, front side and back side. It is the only one accessable without removing anything. The second screws holding this plate going towards the fuser are not so easy to remove. Leave those. What I then do is place my screwdriver in between the two plates, in the area where the screw used to be, and gently pinch the upper and lower plates together. Replace the screws and check the clearance of the shaft as noted earlier. Repeat until an acceptable gap is attained. Be careful as to not warp the entrance of each plate, like I said, be careful. The idea here is to level the pinch of the rollers and nothing else.
    Can you be more specific? Where is the point exactly you mention? any photos?

Also I would like to ask something more:
    - Centering sensos (PF and ADU) must be on or off?
    - 3mm gap from PF does it matters?
    - FD,CD,Centering,Restart Timin must be done with A3 paper(11x17) or 13x19 or anything else customers using and what wheight.
    - Skew can be corrected from ADU mechanical adjustment or from CD Skew software adj?
    and maybe must importand
    - Side 2 Lens adjustment must be ON for heavy stock? 300gsm with manual duplexing, does it matter?
    or is effective only for auto-duplexing?

thanks and sorry for long questions