Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Server 2008, Minolta Di-450 + 351.

Customer is going to change his IT environment from a P2P situation to a real server based system.

The Di-450 (Pi-5501) as well as the Di351 (Pi-3502) should both be able to print and scan. According to the Inhouse IT chap all applications (Office to start with) will run from the server but not local on the workstations.

Question: What problems to expect?

Hans

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    If this is the primary domain controller then scanning to it may need some extra setup. If scanning to the computers then it may need to get a domain account setup to access the computers.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks, how about printing? There are no drivers available from Minolta, Any workarounds known?

Hans

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hello,

If they just need basic printing, you can try using many generic PCL drivers to print.

My old favorite is HP Laserjet 4.

Check it out.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Can't remember if Microsoft provided inbuilt drivers for these models, but aesthetics1 is right in saying that you can just use a generic PCL driver.

As far as scanning is concerned, they will not talk to an AD (Active Directory) account as the machines are not cabpable of NTLM v2 let alone Digital Signing of SMB packets. I might be wrong, but I don't even think these machines were capable of SMB scanning.

You can install IIS with the FTP component and get them to scan that way.

Email is going to be another story as these machines aren't capable of SMTP authentication either. You can get around this by whitelisting the machines with in exchange or whatever mail sever type they use.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Correct, neither of these machines have SMB capabilities. The easiest way to set them up is through IIS in FTP. After checking out my 2008 server, I see the PCL5e driver for the di470 is bundled in (unfortunately no driver is included for the 351.) You may have to do a windows update from the "Have Disk..." Screen to get the drivers downloaded (As with any Windows 7 or Vista machine, a lot of the konica/minolta drivers are pushed out this way) if you don't see them in the manufacturer's list already.

TheOwl, digitally signing smb packets can be disabled under local security policy settings in 2003 and 2008 server if you have difficulties scanning to those DCs.

Painfully they don't offer SMTP authentication, which is fine if you're sitting in front of the server - you can whitelist like TheOwl said - but a lot of people want to set it up with other IMAP services in the cloud and the like, so what I do for a lot of clients is set up a relay server with the authentication settings to pass it off to the 'real' smtp server... After feverishly recommending they consider an in-house server...

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

With SMB Signing, I know that you can disable it, but if someone asked me to disable it on one of my networks, I would say no.

With the inbuilt Windows drivers with 2008 / Vista / 7, I was told that you should be able to install legacy drivers. I haven't tried yet, but apparently Windows Catalog is what you should be Googling to try and find these legacy drivers.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.