Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Really I have not met anyone who has threw together a Fiery from old PC bits and a Interface board and had success, I know a few people who tried and they said it didn't work. I know it looks like a PC and runs windows Embedded but I imagine there is something different about that hardware and BIOS which is the sticking point. I was told by a guy from EFI that it wouldn't work but then again I would expect that answer wether it worked or not.

Personally I have tried to put a video card in a IP901 a few years ago and that didn't work.

CREO is a different animal like KenB says thats a Bog standard Dell server nothing special, the Fusion board does everything.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    The Fiery RIPs use Tyan motherboards, but with a special EFI BIOS. That's why the Fiery RIPs require an option (the FACI, or Fiery Advanced Controller Interface) to be able to use a monitor, mouse and keyboard. The FACI is actually a one-time use BIOS flash for the specific model of Fiery.There are other "secret" differences between the Tyan and EFI versions of the BIOS, but that's a guarded secret, to which nobody is privy.

Just like the Creo, the Fiery uses a proprietary interface card to connect to the engine.

The Creo uses "off-the-shelf" components for everything other than the fusion card.

Some black and white Fieries use a 100Mb/S crossover cable going to the network connector on the engine. They can do this because with black and white there is much less data to pass as there is with color.

Some of the newer Fieries don't have an interface card, but rather use a crossover cable going to a special gigabit controller installed in the engine.

So much for my dissertation..
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    special EFI BIOS. That's why the Fiery RIPs require an option (the FACI, or Fiery Advanced Controller Interface) to be able to use a monitor, mouse and keyboard. The FACI is actually a one-time use BIOS flash for the specific model of Fiery.There are other "secret" differences between the Tyan and EFI versions of the BIOS, but that's a guarded secret, to which nobody is privy.
    Yeah like I said... thats what I was told by EFI thats why I didn't even bother wasting my time trying, I know a few Techs who fiddled around with a standard office PC, interface card & Preloaded HDD and it didn't work . (I did tell them but did hey listen?).

There are other rules and trick to do with replacing mother boards, BIOS, Dongles and swapping System HDD but it would be too long winded to to post and I am also pretty careful as what information I can post here.

This Fiery stuff is my bread and butter & I only deal with Production machines I don't waste my time with office kit.

robotnz1

Cool Fiery s450 - so many models and all the posted specs don't match mine!! Weird machine

Hi all,

Is there a GOOD EFI / Fiery forum somewhere??

I find this Fiery HW stuff pretty interesting as I just spent hours trying to install a USB floppy (for emergencies??) and a sound card (for a little monitoring without staring at the screen??). Some success, via MS Add Hardware Control Panel I now have the add HW wizard afloat in the XP Embedded. This installed the USB floppy instantly, but the sound card is proving a pain. All the Creative SB drivers fail to load due 'incompatible with platform'. Adding sound to s450 is far harder than using torrents on pirate bay! Any cracks I see these EFI people don't like. Since when is sound a crack?

My fiery is a s450, however I still have not found any of the EFI hardware PDF specs on the net that are correct. :-( Man these things are weird. 2x512 ram stix equates 320 mb in system properties. Yet 1024mb in bios and in HWinfo. So the XP Embedded just cannot see the rest??

This s450 XF is apparently from a Canon 8000 LFP printer. The EFI software appears to support nearly every wide format printer.

Aside the soundcard and ram issues, I have a few other queries - like how can a 3.2ghz Intel P4 HT cpu suddenly only show as one core in the task manager - when in all other Tyan boards I have, the HT cpu's always show as 2 cores, like dual HT Xeon's show a quad window in task manager? One window section for each HT 'core'.

I am so perplexed over the no sound I think I will try the $4 USB sound sticks listed on auction sites, since the machine picked up the USB floppy it may pickup the sound this way I am thinking. I haven't got to print with this machine yet, since my printer is awaiting new heads. Some of the mobo spec for my s450 is as follows - ex HWinfo:

HWiNFO32 Version 3.65-1065
    IKON-CPP500 ---------------------------------------------------------------
    [Current Computer]
    Computer Name: IKON-CPP500
    Computer Brand Name: TYAN Computer S5167
    [Operating System]
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Build 2600
    Service Pack: Service Pack 2
    Central Processor(s) ------------------------------------------------------
    [CPU Unit Count]
    Number Of Processor Packages (Physical): 1
    Number Of Processors Cores: 1