Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

C6501 - K Write Unit Code (C-4721)

Has anybody else experienced this code? Not much of a description in manual, just says K write unit failure and to replace. One mention in the Solutions Database, saying the same thing. From what I've heard, it's not a good idea to swap a color unit with the K unit for testing, though the only difference I can see is the TEMSB sensor.

Anyone dealt with this code before? Should I just bite the bullet and order a new K write unit? Any additional parts that I should replace at the same time? Customer only has ~850k on the machine, less than a year old.

Thanks again for the help.

Did you try upgrading the firmware to the latest level? it's worth a shot if they have 850k they have had it for a while! firmware may help the contrl bds

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    I agree with Dukey.

Also, replace the IPB (image processing board) if you have a spare unit. Check the 12V signal related to the laser unit.

Usually, I defer to the TSBs when other avenues have been checked out. It is quite likely the laser unit.

The service manual relates to the number of connectors as being different between the colour and black units. Not sure if this means separate wires or physical connectors.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

I have had an issue with intermittent C-4721, a pin on the connector on the IPB was pushed back when the plug was pushed in (but when it was unplugged the pin would pop out and look normal). The tip of the pin was just about sitting in the hole of the plug but now and again the vibration would cause a disconnection and throw a fault.

Replaced the IPB to solve it in the end (wasnt worth messing around with the old board)

There is an extra Physical connector on the K unit for the Temperature sensor.

Senior Production Tech 100+ Posts texchar555's Avatar
    check for pinched wires on wire harnes on the back of the process unit. replacing image units will knock off the black plastic cover off.

Quote Originally Posted by 907tec View Post
    Has anybody else experienced this code? Not much of a description in manual, just says K write unit failure and to replace. One mention in the Solutions Database, saying the same thing. From what I've heard, it's not a good idea to swap a color unit with the K unit for testing, though the only difference I can see is the TEMSB sensor.

Anyone dealt with this code before? Should I just bite the bullet and order a new K write unit? Any additional parts that I should replace at the same time? Customer only has ~850k on the machine, less than a year old.

Thanks again for the help.

Solution ID TAUS0701674EN* Solution Usage 14
    Description
    C-4718, C-4719, C-4720 or C-4721.Depending on the code indicated, the three other malfunction codeshave not been registered.
    Solution
    CAUSE: Write unit failure.
    SOLUTION:Replace the write unit.
    bizhub PRO C5500/C6500 write unit:
    p/n A03U R712 00- color
    p/n A03U R71100- black

Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    I agree with Dukey.

Also, replace the IPB (image processing board) if you have a spare unit. Check the 12V signal related to the laser unit.

Usually, I defer to the TSBs when other avenues have been checked out. It is quite likely the laser unit.

The service manual relates to the number of connectors as being different between the colour and black units. Not sure if this means separate wires or physical connectors.

According to the Service Manual.

MPC ( Maximun Power Control )
    APC (Automatic Power Control)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    I agree with Dukey.

Mr Stirton.M , Where do you think we should test?, Maybe LOAD. ja
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    I recently went to a C500 with a laser error. Turned out it was REALLY REALLY REALLY hot in the room that it was running in. Also... the heat sync's for the lasers had TONS of dust in them. All I did was blow out the heat sync's and the machine started working again.

So, check for dust.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    As for my original problem here: it was solved with a new K write unit. After installing and running the calibrations, machine worked beautifully. These c6501s only LOOK intimidating, they aren't too difficult to service. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.