Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Copier Prints Pdf files in color even when all defaults are set to B&W

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? My customer is upset because when they print PDF files it shows the setting set to default B&W printing or grayscale and when they hit print it comes out in color.

Is this something that adobe or PDF files will override the settings of the copier completely and print how it wants?

Any advice would be great. I ran the test on my same machine here printed a pdf file from my computer and it came out B&W/Grayscale.

Anyone have any advice?

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    you made no mention of what copier this is. That is important. Also, ensure the firmware of the copier is up to date, and with some models, the driver must match the firmware level. This is more important on the C350/C352/450 series models than any of the tuxedo models currently out.

The driver might not even be the correct driver for the machine they are using.

And of course, my favourite stupid customer moment is that the customer has the control panel set to grey scale (for copying) but expects that will affect all prints too.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Technician
    My bad it is a Konica Bizhub c550. It's set to print and copy in B&W. Their other files all print in B&W no problem it's just when printing a PDF file.

It's really weird. I tested my machine here no problems at all. Considering it's a pretty up-to-date machine. There were no support notes on anything like this.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timoteo82 View Post
    My bad it is a Konica Bizhub c550. It's set to print and copy in B&W. Their other files all print in B&W no problem it's just when printing a PDF file.

It's really weird. I tested my machine here no problems at all. Considering it's a pretty up-to-date machine. There were no support notes on anything like this.
    Which version of Acrobat or Reader is the customer using?

I've seen some really weird situations with very old versions. Acrobat could be using whatever the default install values are for the driver; and color drivers always have color as their default install setting.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    If you are using user authentication w/ public user, you may have "print w/o authentication" set to allow but I don't see how other file formats would not be affected..Are you printing from a driver loaded on a server and shared, or a local copy of the driver? BTW, Sirton makes a good point, copier defaults have no affect on printing defaults. Are the users choosing "grey scale" or leaving "Auto color" in the quality section of the driver. Also, if this is a shared network printer, you must make changes to any defaults under the advanced tab/printing defaults on the server copy. This is the only way to have your defaults pushed to the clients. Keep us posted. Emujo
    Last edited by emujo; 07-15-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Addition info

Technician
    They are using adober reader 9 currently. The problem is this... and this problem only occurs when printing a pdf, not when the print something in word or excel or anywhere else. This is printing not copying.

When they print a pdf it prints in color, they go to make sure the setting is set to B&W/grayscale and it is so they print and it comes out color. The drivers are installed on each workstation not at the server.

I really don't know a fix for this. I do the same thing here on the same machine, same setup everything and it prints B&W/Grayscale

OMD-227
    Try selecting 'Print as image' from the Advanced button in the print dialog box (its in the bottom left corner). I've had a lot of weird color issues with our Sharp MX machines solved straight away just bu clicking that option.

Try importing the file directly into CWS and see if it makes a difference.
    Laughing......

Technician
    cws?

Command work station. ... If using a fiery
    Laughing......