Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Faceup or Facedown?

Hello,

on a newly installed C280 we'd like to keep tray 2 for letterheaded paper but cannot get it to print on the correct face both 2-sided and 1-sided.

With the paper letterhead-face-up we can print a one page document ok but a two page document prints page one on the reverse side with page two going on the letterhead (face up) side.

With the paper letterhead-face-down we can print a two page document ok but a one page document prints page one on the reverse leaving the letterhead side blank.

I don't know where the problem lies; printer, driver or user but would welcome suggestions to try.

Technician
    turn off duplex in the driver perhaps??

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Have you gone into machine settings and set the drawer for letterhead?

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    This is purely a function of how letterhead works on all KM machines, at least, all the colour units. I have noted this from all models from the C250 right on up to the current C652. It could very well be a bug that Japan never noticed, or there is some rhyme or reason for the function that they failed to pass on to the end user or us technicians, every level of firmware will not change the behavior. From my personal observations, the machine will not advance the click counter for billing, unlike it would if you directly used the duplex function. But also from a tech point of view, this causes unnecessary wear and tear on the machine, specifically the duplex and fuser units.

I've been telling all my customers to use "special" setting instead of letterhead. It will provide the same function without the hassle. If feeding from the main body, the print will be face up, so load the paper face up in the tray. If going from an LCC sidecar or the bypass tray, face down.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Technician
    Full of hope, I tried Special but with the same results I'm afraid (or am I supposed to reset anything?).

I cannot find the option on the machine to set the drawer for letterhead. The main Utility menu gives choices 1-4 and 8, there is no 5-7 but that looks like the default?

I'm not sure how to turn off duplex in the driver and still allow a two-letter page to be printed 2-sided.

Edit: I tried Special via the driver.
    Last edited by swt; 08-05-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Clarification

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hi
    try and change binding position from the printer printing preferences option

Technician
    No joy trying different binding options; auto, left, right, top, all produce the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by swt View Post
    Full of hope, I tried Special but with the same results I'm afraid (or am I supposed to reset anything?).

I cannot find the option on the machine to set the drawer for letterhead. The main Utility menu gives choices 1-4 and 8, there is no 5-7 but that looks like the default?

I'm not sure how to turn off duplex in the driver and still allow a two-letter page to be printed 2-sided.

Edit: I tried Special via the driver.
    See attached PDFs for user instruction regarding paper trays. For size, always allow the machine to be set on auto. The only exception to this is if you are using a none standard size and the machine is unable to detect it when set in auto mode. In some cases, even if you set the tray to auto, it may not trigger properly if it was set to a fixed size before you loaded a different size in. Set it to auto, load a different size in, or even change the orientation (letter paper) to trigger the automatic response. Then place the paper as you see fit. With the bypass tray, you must ensure the tray extension is folded out for paper sizes larger than letter. Legal and ledger for example.

The paper type on the tray can be set as per the PDF instructions attached. It should be set at this level before you print, ideally.

See attached images for setting the driver itself. The driver is for a slightly different machine, but the layout should be very similar. This is assuming the machine has been set to use paper priority and allowed to switch trays for matching paper and type set in the user mode section.

It should be self explanatory at that point. If you are still having trouble, call for service from your local KM.

And to reiterate, if you set the tray to "special", or for that matter, ANY other paper type that is not "letter head", load the main body trays with the physical letterhead paper you want to print from, face up. If you are using the bypass tray, load the paper face down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

The attached image here shows how to set the driver if the previous automatic setting is not set on the machine itself. This one specifically selects drawer one, and then from there, select the button indicated to set the paper type. This one will force tray one (in this example) to be selected, and which paper type is wanted, special as shown.

You do not have to use tray one. You can use any tray you want. This is merely a sample that is universal between all the drawers. Paper size of course, is subject to the size of your original to be printed.
    special driver direct tray.JPG
    ---Groucho Marx

Technician
    Hi Stirton.M,

I had tried those options and went over them again but nothing changes - we still get one result printing 1-sided and a different result printing 2-sided using letter headed paper. A Konica engineer was due today so I expected to have an update earlier but it's going to be next week now.

swt