Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CoastalKara

CF2002 - System Booting - please wait

Hi, we have a CF2002 obviously. Its scanning ability has become sporadic. When I turn on the controller, press utility and controller detail it seems to be stuck in the system booting phase. It was fine this AM, not so fine this afternoon.

Any thoughts on why this is happening and what I can do?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Likely hdd in fiery is on its last legs.. been there, done that!

Regards!
    A.

CoastalKara
    Quote Originally Posted by copytechman View Post
    Likely hdd in fiery is on its last legs.. been there, done that!

Regards!
    A.
    Can I do something about that, other than call a Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalKara View Post
    Can I do something about that, other than call a Tech?
    copytechman is correct hard drive is on the way out in the Fiery. The hard drive is easy enough to replace, but you will need to reload the software whch will probably need a tech.

Yes not a fun job, (just did one on slightly newer but basically the same c350 box), requires the files (huge), the hdd, (not sure what kind goes in that particular fiery), and a special parallel cable... oh yes and LOTS of patience!

Regards!
    A.

Edit: If its a cn3102 fiery then the system code alone is 551mb approx.. Just a fyi, I'd recommend calling a tech!

CoastalKara
    Thanks guys, what kind of cost do you think I'm looking at to do that?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    If your tech has any sense he should only be there a few minutes. We just use drive duplicators and keep 1-2 hard drives on hand with the fiery system software already loaded and patched. Otherwise you will see him hooking up the ol' parallel cable and writing the software for sometimes over an hour, plus the short time re-configuring it.

Jeez, hard to say, most generic hdds aren't a lot of $$$, even if it's a laptop type, however it's the time involved which can take a while. On a c350 we're talkin' several hours (of mostly waiting for it to download via the cable but still). Then, the fiery has to be reprogrammed with all of the settings it had (I hope you have a relatively current config page, makes it SO much quicker!). Largely depends on local tech rates.

Regards!
    A.

Unless you have the fortune of having a tech like the previous poster! (edit!)

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by copytechman View Post
    Jeez, hard to say, most generic hdds aren't a lot of $$$, even if it's a laptop type, however it's the time involved which can take a while. On a c350 we're talkin' several hours (of mostly waiting for it to download via the cable but still). Then, the fiery has to be reprogrammed with all of the settings it had (I hope you have a relatively current config page, makes it SO much quicker!). Largely depends on local tech rates.

Regards!
    A.

Unless you have the fortune of having a tech like the previous poster! (edit!)
    Copytechman, I am assuming you are using the old method of sending system code via parallel by way of how much time it takes you, several hours, sounds to me that you are not using the parallel port utility. Use of the port utility greatly speeds up the time to copy system over to about an hour. If you are not familiar with that software, here is a link from KM Canada that you can download this utility. It includes a PDF with instructions on how to use this program. http://207.194.48.151/intranet2/down...=2036&binary=1 (should be the direct link to the file)

And as aesthetics1 mentioned, we also clone our disks ahead of time, or at the very least, keep a cloned image on hand. Ghost works well, but Acronis is even better. I can restore a cloned image in about half an hour to a new hard disk. The rest is standard fair regarding configuring user settings.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    My office charges a flat rate of $300 Cdn for a complete restoration of a failed fiery hard drive. This includes the cost of the drive plus a couple hours or so doing the image transfer, configuration and final testing. A warranty for 60 days is included.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.