Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar

TECH TIP: C650 series control panel unresponsive

From time to time I encounter the odd machine with control panel issues. In one case, the hard keys on the panel failed and I had to replace the panel. In another, the failure was in the heavy cable.

In both cases, the machine was operational, faxes and print jobs still worked.

Today, I encountered a rather new (to me) symptom.

The machine was completely unresponsive. Pagescope did not work, print jobs did not reach the machine. All the keys on the control panel did not function, the touch screen also did not respond.

However, the control panel was responsive for about 3-5 seconds after the main user display screen appeared. I could press the hard keys or the touch screen and get response. But it would not last, the panel would be unresponsive. Obviously, tech rep mode was completely unavailable, as it takes about a minute to be able to access on a machine that is functioning normally.

Standard fair for things like this is to check the cables and then reflash the machine.

Neither fixed the problem. A TSB entry related a firmware level issue related to 6M flashed up to J8, that such an incident could happen, that the firmware was corrupted. The entry recommended a backflash to 6M, downgrade the hard drive, and reflash back to J8 and upgrade the hard drive.

It was here that I encountered the unique problem.

I backflashed to 6M. Rebooted. Got the expected E002 code. Went into tech rep, tried to downgrade the hard drive. The response was immediate and I was told to cycle the power. Those of you with experience may recognize this is not normal. Upon reboot, I still had the E002 code. Raised eyebrow.

Obviously the machine was refusing to cooperate.

Keep in mind that I am trying to preserve the data on the hard disk and of course, user settings.

I disable the hard disk, knowing that it is either damaged or corrupt. I want to recover administrator information, like email, network, smb data before I go any further.

Administrator mode, I cannot get into, the password has changed. The customer did not change it, they have several machines and all have the same PW. I go into tech rep, into CE mode to change the password. I can enter the 1-8 in the first entry. The machine prompts for a second entry (verify). But the panel becomes unresponsive. I reboot, try it again. And a third time. WTF!?

At this point, I have accepted that the machine needs to have a serious shit kick and resign myself to knowing that I will never recover the admin settings. I perform a total clear on the machine. Finally, I am able to enter into admin mode.

I re-enable the hard disk, hoping that this time, I can downgrade the drive to 6M and at least recover the one touches and user box data.

Another expected E002 upon reboot. But like the first time, the response to the downgrade is immediate and the machine indicated to cycle the power. And again, greeted with the E002. I resign myself to having to format (logical) the hard disk and lose that data too.

The reboot, the machine is operating normally again. Except for the Admin password, which oddly enough, has somehow changed again. At least this time, Tech Rep CE mode allows me to set the entry twice without issue. I update the flash back to R6, reformat the drive (just in case).

When all was said and done, I was not a happy camper about losing all that information, neither was the customer. They had no backup of the user data or one touch information.

The tech tip here however, is to try and backflash the machine to a very early firmware version in situations where the control panel, all of it, locks up and the machine is unresponsive to print jobs and incoming faxes. The point being, is that if doing so relieves the underlying symptom as described above, you may not be able to recover the machine in the traditional ways. You may be forced to delete the data regardless, but keep in mind that the hard disk itself is readable in windows. I attached the drive to my home PC, hoping to perform a data recovery, but the format destroyed any usable information that was on the drive. Had I not formatted it, I might have been able to save the data on the PC, format the drive in the copier, and then retransfer the data back to that drive. That's the tip.

The machine is up and running as it should be now. At least there is no permanent damage to the machine or the drive. But man, what a pain it was to diagnose the problem.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    TECH TIP:  C650 series control panel unresponsive

Not to rub salt in to the wound, but I had a similar issue with a unresponsive C451 which a firmware upgrade fixed.

Well, it wasn't the upgrade as such but a function that was enabled by the firmware when you go into trouble reset mode. With the later versions of firmware, you will notice a button in the bottom left hand corner that has 'AES' written in it. By pressing this button and running the mode then rebooting can help fix and unresponsive copier.

The theory behind this button is that the machine does rely heavily on the HDD and some certain information on the HDD is rather sensitive. Therefore, Konica Minolta employ a 128Bit AES encryption on the machine to protect that data. Everynow and then on machine with certain firmware ie J8 and R5, the encryption algorithum got out of sync between the machine and the HDD which causes all kinds of wierd faults, including a locked up machine, unresponsive HDD by means of both serviceing the HDD or by the user just trying to simply use ID & Print.

Give that a try next time you have a machine throwing some really wierd faults at you and see if it helps.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I hate it when that happens, especially when a customer has a gazillion account track codes and hasn't backed up the list recently! Tis painful!

Regards!
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Not to rub salt in to the wound, but I had a similar issue with a unresponsive C451 which a firmware upgrade fixed.

Well, it wasn't the upgrade as such but a function that was enabled by the firmware when you go into trouble reset mode. With the later versions of firmware, you will notice a button in the bottom left hand corner that has 'AES' written in it. By pressing this button and running the mode then rebooting can help fix and unresponsive copier.

The theory behind this button is that the machine does rely heavily on the HDD and some certain information on the HDD is rather sensitive. Therefore, Konica Minolta employ a 128Bit AES encryption on the machine to protect that data. Everynow and then on machine with certain firmware ie J8 and R5, the encryption algorithum got out of sync between the machine and the HDD which causes all kinds of wierd faults, including a locked up machine, unresponsive HDD by means of both serviceing the HDD or by the user just trying to simply use ID & Print.

Give that a try next time you have a machine throwing some really wierd faults at you and see if it helps.
    Thanks Owl....this reminded me of a step I forgot to include in the writeup...Near the beginning, I think before I tried the first reflash, or thereabout, I did attempt to do the trouble reset procedure (via utility key on powerup), the typical dot in the screen appeared, but the machine locked up at the logo screen. It sat for about 10 minutes while I retrieved my laptop from the car and started reviewing my documentation. Usually it does take a while for trouble reset to appear, but certainly not more than a couple minutes to get to the trouble reset button.

And of course, the machine was having issues that went beyond the trouble with the HDD itself. Recall, with the HDD disabled, I had to do a total clear to be able to access Admin mode properly. I also forgot to add, it was at this point after the total clear, I was able to see the web interface.

As I think about it, I suspect that the machine did get zapped, as there was no conditioner on the power connection. There "might" be an issue with the room the machine sits in, it gets pretty warm inside this room, there is no ventilation at all. That I am not sure if it was a contributor or direct cause.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Chromatik's Avatar
    Bolletin Reference herein refers to a similar problem, I had the same event with a C252. The NVRAM Data Recovery Solution Method

Solution ID TAUS0700453EN01 Solution Usage 22
    Description
    NVRAM Troubleshooting Procedure used to identify NVRAM problems.
    Solution
    C250/C252/C300/C350/C351/C450
    NVRAM trouble codes ( C-D3xx codes) can occur at any time. Mostly these codes happen when updating firmware. A NVRAM Data Restore
    procedure was announced a few months ago to address these codes:
    Stop, 0, 7, 1, 3, 9, *
    What this procedure does is take a good image of the NVRAM off the MFP board (created when you performed the NVRAM Data Backup) and restore it to
    the NVRAM. There are approximately 30 registers that can be corrupt, so the above procedure may have to be done as much as 30 times.
    WARNING : If a corrupt NVRAM is suspected, DO NOT perform the NVRAM Data Backup. This will take the corrupt NVRAM image and back it up to
    the MFP board. If this is done, and the NVRAM is replaced, the corrupt data that was just backed up will be transferred to the new NVRAM. If this is the
    case then the NVRAM and MFP board will have to be replaced as a set.
    Known unrecoverable NVRAM symptoms:
    1. Stuck on hour glass screen
    2. I ncorrect meters
    3. When performing the NVRAM restore procedure the codes repeat themselves
    Note : One thing that has been noticed is these machines seem to be highly susceptible to voltage sags and spikes. It is HIGHLY recommended to
    install a quality power line conditioner on these machines.
    Known fixes for various codes:
    C-D36E and C-E002 – Install Phase 3.01 f/w (H5 or H6 depending on model)
    If a corrupt NVRAM is suspected, please try performing a Data Clear. This can be found in the Tech Rep mode.
    IMPORTANT : All programmed addresses will be cleared. Please backup the address data using PageScope Web Connect to backup the data before
    performing the Data Clear.
    If NVRAM replacement is necessary please be aware that the meters may not be transferred and they might be reset to zero. This is unrecoverable and
    the correct meters cannot be input.
    8020/CF2002/8031/CF3102
    Codes C-3C00 through C-3C40 indicate a corrupt BRU
    Codes C-3C50 through C-3C90 indicates a problem with the PWB-C board or the scanner to main body cable.
    8050/CF5001/C500
    The NVRAM for the C500 cannot be replaced in the field. The only way to correct a corrupt NVRAM is to send the OACB, NVRAM, and PRCB into Konica
    Minolta to be reset.
    Known defective NVRAM symptoms:
    1. Meters or default adjustment values are extremely high.
    2 . Adjustments do not hold after powering the machine OFF/ON.
    Note : On the Black and White machines verify that the NVRAM is bad by swapping a good NVRAM from another machine in the same product family.
    This will save significant time and expense in getting back the machine in working condition.
    Bizhub 200/250/350
    Common symptoms when NVRAM replacement may be necessary:
    1. Machine not going to ready state.
    2. Not printing to a host name with DHCP.
    3. Not scanning to E-mail.
    4. On startup, abort code 0x0000999a .
    5. Abort code 0x00f00b00 .
    6. Not printing.
    7. Machine rebooting every few minutes.
    8. Screen freezing in KM logo.
    9. Keep losing machine settings when power OFF.

Bizhub 420/500
    Note : First try to flash the machine to the latest firmware before swapping the NVRAM because the firmware fixes many of the following symptoms:
    1. Screen freeze in KM logo.
    2. Fax unit locking up the copier or not recognized.
    3. CE-084 Error code.
    4. Cannot ping the copier.
    5. C-D203 error code.
    6. Display resetting to Japanese.
    7. Losing network settings after firmware upgrade.
    8. C-E002 Error code.
    9. Scan to email or FTP.
    10. Loss of adjustment data.

bizhub C550
    11. Total counter is reset.
    12. Display TCR adjustment.
    13. C284x Error code.
    Bizhub 600/750
    1. Screen freeze in KM logo.
    2. Cannot recognize DF.
    3. Error code SC2203 .
    7145/7255
    1. Blank screen.
    2. Loss of E-mail addresses.
    3. Loss of settings.
    4. Error code E56-01 .
    IMPORTANT: All requests for NVRAMs must be approved by the SSD hotline and a problem ticket generated. If a request is received without an
    established problem ticket number the request will be denied.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post

I had this identical issue on the C550 model. Fixed it the same way.

Another "tech tip" - Keep backups of your customer's info once it starts becoming important. We run regular backups during visits for account track, and machine/network info. Saves you a ton of headaches even if it may seem unpractical. I just have an FTP site set up from my office and deposit them there. Very useful!..

I am giving serious consideration to doing this as well. It's not often we run into snags of this level, but man, I would feel much more at ease knowing we had backup data available.

Trouble is, user box data is pretty dynamic, so keeping a backup of that info is simply not practical. Especially in situations where such information may be considered confidential information by the owner of the machine.
    ---Groucho Marx

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Concidering that then, maybe you could just create a backup locally on the customers site. That way there is no compnay confidential data outside of the clients network.

That said, it is always a case of "Easier said than done" where by a lot of customers don't have a decent network, let alone redundancy in case the backup gets wiped (ie. to local workstation and it gets a virus).
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I had a similar situation today, decided to upgrade the firmware in a c253 to the "no iu msg" fw. That went ok until the cust tried to print. Doh!! I had forgotten that A) sometimes drivers have to updated too (especially when going from a v.21 machine iirc to a v.r6 machine. And B) if user authentication is enabled it appears the newer firmware damages the data somehow (it only allowed "public" printing) until I literally turned off any kind of authentication (to wipe it and reset it) and turn it back on.. fortunately there was only about a 1/2 dozen users programmed but still.. Yeah I can see that.. I routinely use PSdataadmin to download account codes and back them up now and then.. it's helped... a lot..

Regards!
    A.

data admin has helped me on many occasion. Its my preferred tool for user data, though I use it more for machine swapping than simple recovery.

If I recall, doing firmware updates from very old level firmware to the latest, intermediary steps are required.

See attached example, cut from the G10-R6 release notes pdf.

Capture.JPG

TheOwl

Yep, I know what you mean about the user machines...There are a few places that had in house IT, and some of those guys take an active roll in backing up data off the machine, so that is a blessing in its own right for them. And most users I know could not be bothered to do a decent backup of anything computer related, let alone the copier. And that is assuming they are not technology illiterate.
    Last edited by Stirton.M; 08-20-2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: I forgot the image...
    ---Groucho Marx