Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I would suspect that the small bevelled gear on the end of the recycle auger is not turning when the shaft rotates causing the toner to back up. My cure for this (which normally cures this permanently) is to use a soldering iron with a fine tip to "weld" the gear to the shaft. Just make sure you dont accidentally melt the gear teeth!! Cheers.....

Technician
    Thanks tech51. Is the auger that long helical-screw-type item that sits under the clear plastic blades? Should you see it turning when you take the waste toner cover off and turn the drum?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie4Fingers View Post
    Thanks tech51. Is the auger that long helical-screw-type item that sits under the clear plastic blades? Should you see it turning when you take the waste toner cover off and turn the drum?
    Don`t think so. How I check it is to hold the auger and turn the gears. If the little bevel gear spins but the auger doesnt, then thats your` problem.

Technician
    OK. What does the auger look like exactly, and where is it located? I have a parts manual here but can't see anything called an auger in the cleaner section.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie4Fingers View Post
    Sorry Frankie, misread your post. Yes the auger sits under those blades, dont know what they call it in the parts book, it may not be available as a spare. Any way my advice is the same as before, and yes it should turn if the drum is in place....

Minolta Dialta Di152 Black Streaks

If I remember the so called auger used to snap off at one end and a mod was done to strengthen it! Trouble is I have no idea of the new number..sorry.

Technician
    Thanks tech51, I think you might be right then because that long black plastic screw-type thing under the plastic blades doesn't move ever when I turn the drum. Is the bevel gear you refer to on the left or on the right as you look at the unit from the drum side?

Thanks minimerlin, I'll also check out whether the auger itself is broken.

On the left

Technician
    Thanks very much for your help guys, I found the problem. It was actually quite simple, Emjay you were right, the unit is quite straightforward to strip and rebuild.

Inside the waste toner tank there are 2 long things (augers?) and one wasn't turning at all. All the gears were 100% perfect, but the auger with the helix on it, that pushes the waste toner off the left, seemed like maybe it had worn a little on the RH side (the side opposite to where the waste toner is ejected). As a result, it had moved axially to the right and its steel shaft therefore had lost engagement with a little gear on the LH side (this gear keys to the steel shaft via a D-shaped hole, which was in good condition). This little gear is responsible for turning the auger with the plastic flaps on it and the screw in the waste toner ejector chute, both of which were therefore not operating. Kind of explains why I found no toner in the ejector chute!

So all I needed to do was to put a spacer washer on the RH side of the auger with the helix to prevent it moving right and everything seems OK.

Thanks again for everyone's input! Cheers.

Frank.

Technician
    I've also seen (and used) SuperGlue on that bevelled gear before now, although I think I'd prefer to use Epoxy Resin of some sort if I wasn't in a hurry.