Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

KM C280 icc profiles

Good Morning

We have Konica minolta C280 and the installation DVD has three color profiles : JC2001.icc, JMPA-AD.icc and SNAP.icc can anybody tell me what these profiles are ??

ICC Profiles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Files "ICC" are useful to represent the color space or Gamut of a device such as a printer, monitor, scanner, etc.
    If order is relatively complex, I recommend seeking accurate information, maybe a short summary of the matter leads to Confucianism, but it basically is used to match the different color spaces by: Matrix or table (LUT).

Generally these files (.icc) are included in the Soft attached to printers and you can dispose of them either to update the printer or use on your PC with a specific application (Editor of Images, Graphics, etc).

Example:

SNAP

Profile Name: SNAP (Specifications for Newsprint Advertising Production)

Profile Provider: SNAP Committee

Printing Condition
    Printing process definition: Web Offset on newsprint / cold-set inks / CTP plates / newsprint paper.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    KM C280 icc profiles

Have a read through this to get some understanding:

ICC profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically you can use a given ICC Profile to manipulate the way colours are represented when being displayed on a monitor or when being printed on a printer.

Good practice for printers is to use an ICC profile for both your monitor and your printer which are the same profile. What this does is help the age old "The printer isn't printing the right colour". This is usually a case that the monitor is displaying green slightly different to how the printer prints green. Get the monitor to change how it shows green to be the same as the printer and the problem is solved. But then you run into the fact that green will now look different on other printers for that computer. Easily fixed by using the same ICC profile on every thing.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Well as I said before, a short explanation did not leave much clear, unless you have prior knowledge, if you have no knowledge of Color Management is advisable to make no changes in the color settings.

"Owl" ..I do not want to discourage its response but... can not use the same "ICC" in the Printer as a Monitor.

The monitor creates colors by iliminacion of small cells (depending on type of monitor changes its shape and composition of these cells), and using channels RGB (additive color). Therefore, Monitors work with ICC profiles that represent a color space composed of RGB channels (Red / Green / Blue).

Unlike the Printer Monitor uses the subtractive color method for this system uses the CMYK or four-color channels, and more like the Case of Hexachrome. then these devices use ICC (C / M / Y / K) representing four or more channels according to requirements.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    KM C280 icc profiles

Again, keeping it simple.

Monitor Calibration - Calibrate Your Monitor - Color Management Methods for On-Screen Display

Read on and you will find this part:

Software and Hardware Calibration and ICC Profiles

ICC Profiles provide a way to insure consistent color. These files are specific to each device on your system and contain information about how that device produces color. Tools for calibrating monitors, scanners, printers, and digital cameras use ICC profiles so that all these devices "speak the same color." With software calibration you go through a series of on-screen displays similar to, but much more detailed than those seen in the simple calibrations above. You'll make precise adjustments and create a specific ICC profile for your monitor. Or, you may get adequate results using generic ICC profiles. Hardware-based calibration utilizes light monitoring and measurement devices along with software to achieve the more exacting results needed for high-end work.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Most "printers" use ICC profiles to "match" thier proof printer with thier presses. The proof is used to check for content accuracy and for customer approval prior to making plates and going to press. Having a monitor calibrated helps with the WYSIWYG.
    Likewise if a customer has several color MFPs, the same profiling procedures can be used to calibrate all machines in a shop to produce "Matchiing" colors.

This is a very complex subject that cannot be discussed in 1 or 2 paragraphs, books have been written on these subjects.
    Posters before me have done a great job trying to keep it simple, I hope I have added to what they have already posted.