Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar

Tech Tip: C6500 series: Lines on control panel

Just recently had to deal with an issue with a C5501 in which the control panel had a failure in the display....see attached image for an example....

Capture.JPG

After some investigation, it was determined that either the control panel was at fault, or the OACB was at fault. Being that the control panel was infinitely easier to replace, that was done first obviously...but there was very little difference. The next stage was to replace the OACB...Overall Control Board.

After the billion or so screws to remove and replace the board, I made my first discovery. Some here might already know this, but I suspect some do not. To save you the pain of figuring this out yourselves and wasting a bunch of time in the process....

The OACB on any given machine, be it a C6500 or C6501 or C5501 and so forth, is part number identical in the model group. It is also, for all intents and purposes, brain dead prior to mating with a machine. Meaning there is no code firmware at all installed on it.

I had a board that originally came from a C6501. It was a good board, a problem we had in the past that did not get corrected by replacing this board did not resolve that problem. However, what I did not know was that when that board mated with the C6501 and firmware was applied, that board became forever linked to that model, always to be a C6501 OACB. It will not work properly in a C6500 nor a C5500 or a C5501. It will constantly throw a C131 code.

Actually, it threw a C130 code first. I updated the ROM and the board accepted the code, but upon reboot, tossed the C131. The TSB indicates that I1 and C, the first 4 digits of the firmware number should match each other. The TSB mentions reflashing the control, but this does not work.

Long story short, do not waste time trying another OACB unless that board was once in the same model as the machine you are trying to fix. If that is not possible, the only alternative is to replace the board with a new board.

Which brings me to the second tip.

The machine will boot up completely brain dead, with the message on the control panel displaying "Please wait...."

The machine will not progress further. Holding the utility key and powering up will not get you into tech rep. The only alternative is to use ISWTrns on a laptop/computer and push the firmware via cable over the USB port or parallel port.

I was able to use the USB cable method. Once it was done, and I closed the program, and the machine rebooted on its own. I got another C131 code, but this time I was able to use the USB thumb drive to push the Control firmware (which was changed from the previous attempt at using a different model programmed OACB.)

After that, easy sailing.

So to recap...don't waste time with replacing the OACB with a different machine's OACB unless they match model type....C5501 in a C5501. Unless you are troubleshooting the display issue I had illustrated above. Simply give it a brand new board where possible and carry on from there with the USB cable and ISWTrns software.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post

Which brings me to the second tip.

The machine will boot up completely brain dead, with the message on the control panel displaying "Please wait...."

The machine will not progress further. Holding the utility key and powering up will not get you into tech rep. The only alternative is to use ISWTrns on a laptop/computer and push the firmware via cable over the USB port or parallel port.

I was able to use the USB cable method. Once it was done, and I closed the program, and the machine rebooted on its own. I got another C131 code, but this time I was able to use the USB thumb drive to push the Control firmware (which was changed from the previous attempt at using a different model programmed OACB.)

After that, easy sailing.

So to recap...don't waste time with replacing the OACB with a different machine's OACB unless they match model type....C5501 in a C5501. Unless you are troubleshooting the display issue I had illustrated above. Simply give it a brand new board where possible and carry on from there with the USB cable and ISWTrns software.
    Did you not read the service manual?

Note
    • After replacing the OACB, be sure to conduct the ISW of the image control (Collective (I0)) first.
    The main body power will not turn on if the overall control firmware is not in the OACB.

Once you write the f/w into a machine it then dictates the model of the machine by its Serial No. and that board can be used in another machine as long as its the same model.

As for the control Panel I seen that a few times a long time ago, you should just asked me and I would have saved you time & OACB.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Laughing......

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Yes, did read the manual on it...the first run through, it was assumed that the machine would accept the "newish" but previously used board, pretty much like it would accept a PRCB from another machine without issue (firmware update is a given), which was our initial surprise, as the manual made no mention of this specific attempt I did of mixing another machine, in this case, a C6501 OACB into a C5501. We had our doubts it would give issue. The service error as indicated previously, C130 and C131 are not even in the manual, I found those entries in the TSB. In fact, this is the kicker, C131 is not even in the C5501 or C6501 TSB, but it is in the C6500 bulletin. It was upon getting that C130 error at the first run through that we came to realize that mixing two machines was not possible. Even our guys from National Board Repair here in Calgary did not realize that...they had simply not had the opportunity as yet to encounter this specific thing. It was believed that simply reprogramming the board (utility key held while powering on to gain access to tech rep) would be all that was needed to get the machine up and running, the same routine as with replacing a PRCB. Evidently this is not so.

The specifics on what to do about the initial problem, lines on the display, was already pretty much a done deal. It is in the TSB listing, however, the entry was ambiguous regarding what kind of lines...I've had lines in my laptop display that were all the screen itself. That statement itself is pretty ambiguous unless you see it for yourself. Regardless, the troubleshooting for this problem was pretty straight forward and I went to the site with the OACB and the display at the same time. It takes 5 minutes to replace the display. The OACB, if everything goes smoothly, about 2 hours. If I can save time by simply replacing the screen, I would prefer that instead, time management and all that.

...on the item that you singled out with the highlight and link to the specific page, I was already aware of the need to program the new board. What was not very clear was "be sure to conduct the ISW of the".... If it had specifically stated to program the board through ISWTrns, that would have been enough of a hint to break out the laptop and connect it to the board and program it through the utility, that simply trying to boot the machine into tech rep via utility key and perform ISW via USB memory stick would not cut it. If I had placed the board (the used one) into another C6501, or I had a board from a C5501, this whole exercise would not have been needed at all.

I did not see any specifics to this problem here, so I figured I would post this for anyone else who may encounter the problem (in particular the issue about the C130 and C131 codes), so there is no question in their minds of what to expect when dealing with problems related to the OACB.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Rolermanto

Re: Tech Tip: C6500 series: Lines on control panel

Hi thank you for your thread.
    I put a board oacb from KM6501 to KM6500 but i can't change the machine S/N only accessories...
    Did you know how can i change it?
    the touch screen botton don't work...
    thank you for your help
    luk

Technician

Its the power supply. I cant remember if it was power supply 1 or 2,

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    did you not read the service manual?

note
    • after replacing the oacb, be sure to conduct the isw of the image control (collective (i0)) first.
    The main body power will not turn on if the overall control firmware is not in the oacb.

once you write the f/w into a machine it then dictates the model of the machine by its serial no. And that board can be used in another machine as long as its the same model.

As for the control panel i seen that a few times a long time ago, you should just asked me and i would have saved you time & oacb.

i have to update firmware but the usb drive is not recognised. I have to use isw software. Where can i get this? and please give me the procedure. Thank you