Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Toner Feed Not Working

Hi guys,

I have a Minolta Dialta Di152 photocopier that has been making very pale copies and I discovered that the toner feed doesn't seem to be working.

There's no toner in the hopper going to the imaging unit, and the toner bottle never spins. I've watched it with the door open while it was making a copy and it never even attempts to spin. I even did a few copies with no toner bottle at all in the machine and it didn't seem to mind, it just did the copies anyhow.

The funny thing is that it doesn't indicate a low toner warning at any stage, it thinks everything is fine.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could guide me as to what might be causing this. I originally thought maybe the motor that spins the toner bottle is faulty but then considering that no low toner warning comes up, maybe some sensor somewhere has a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much guys.

Regards,

Frankie.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Take the drum unit and dev unit apart. remove the top cover of the dev unit. Spint the gears and see if one of the developer augers are broke. Happens on this model. especially older versions. The dev unit can't mix toner correctly nor can it move the recycled toner from the chute.

Technician
    Hi mo0651, the developer unit I take it is the bottom half of the Imaging Unit? Would a broken auger cause it to think it doesn't need more toner and the prevent the toner bottle from spinning?

Yep. It has some toner in the dev unit. it is just not getting to the mag roller to get on the drum.

Technician
    Hi mo0651,

I checked the augers in the developer unit and they were fine and turning. I think I may have made a mistake though. I added some toner in the developer unit to see what effect it would have, hoping it would give me a clue as to what to do next. Then when I turned the machine on I got an error code C0F32.

The manual says this means ATDC sensor not working, but one possibility for the cause is uneven toner in the developer tank. It recommended shaking the IU around a bit horizontally, which I did, but no luck. I even re-opened it and evened the toner out with my finger, but still the code persists. The code doesn't show immediately when you power on, but a few seconds later when the motor starts up.

Can you or anyone else give me any ideas please?

I called a tech today and it seems he knew even less than I did (and I'm not a tech), just kept insisting the developer unit was shot based on that code alone. He had to ring someone to find out what the code even meant, which I told him what the manual said, and he and the guy on the phone were trying to clear the error code using some special code and couldn't do it. Then he just told me how much a new developer unit would cost. Sigh.

Frankie.

Well now you've done it! LOL the toner ratio is giving you that code. It would be best to put in new developer. But because you are not a tech. Going into tech rep mode and everything and then adjusting the setting. You should be able to get a full pm done for around $500.

Technician
    I see, is there any way of taking out some toner? I imagine once it's roughly correct it will then fine-tune itself for the correct amount?

Technician
    Never mind mo0651, I had a look at it and there's no way to remove toner, it's too mixed in with the developer.

Do you think if I dumped it all out and got some new developer it would be OK? I have the manual so I can do the ATDC adjustment afterwards, F8 on this machine, it seems pretty straightforward.

The other thing is, I learned today that the owner of the machine actually put in some toner powder from an older Minolta - an EP1080, when the dialta ran out recently. Do you think that would have caused the copies to go very pale (almost white)? You originally suggested it might be a broken auger in the developing tank but they are fine. Do you think the toner he used may have caused the problem then? Or anything else you think it might be?

Thanks very much mo0651, I really appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Frankie.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Toner Feed Not Working

Good Lord...

You have to clean out completely all of the toner from the hopper and auger. Than remove all developer and any toner from the "developer tank" (lower half of the Image Unit) as well as the toner recycling system of the drumunit (upper half of the Image unit). Recharge with new developer and the right toner and preferably also replace the cleaning blade. Its practically almost impossible for a non-tech to clean the cleaning blade without getting in problems with the drum later on.

Analog EP-1080 toner is completely different and will not function in this digital machine. Even the slightest contamination will cause problems.

To my opinion, given the age of the machine, its a near total loss....

Hans

Technician
    Hi Hansoon, thanks for your advice. I'd like to give it a go to clean out the unit. What kind of things do I need to look out for with cleaning the cleaning blade? Do you think it should be replaced because it will be damaged by the wrong toner or because it's too hard to clean successfully?

Thanks very much.

Frankie.