Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Firmware writing to Card for C220

Good day to you guys.
    I have recently tried without success to upgrade firmware for C220/C452; those machines that use a USB stick for a card to upgrade firmware. The manual says (copy firmware to the root of the card) and it recommends a 1GB or 2GB flash disk. I have used both flashes but the machine indicates "Invalid external memory" even when I use 512MB and 256MB cards. I do believe that I am not copying the firmware data to the card correctly. trouble is that the firmware toolkit doesn't seem to support that firmware for those machines (which is '.tar') while the firmware that the toolkit supports is (.tar.gz) so, has anyone been successful doing that kind of work on those C220s or machines with USB for firmware upgrade? how is it done practically?

Format your USB stick to FAT32 and just _copy_ A0EDFW.tar onto USB stick, you don't need any software like firmware toolkit.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    I have 5 different usb sticks and only one works with this model. It can be an incompatible usb drive.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Wanna hear something funny, I got a 2 gig ubs stick to flash a 6500, first flash worked just fine, when I went to flash it again (newer firmware after about a year) the SAME STICK didn't work!! LOL
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    When you download the firmware file, it will be in a Zipped format. Unzip it and place all 3 files on the root of the USB drive. Ensure you are using the correct USB port to perform the update. It has a screwed down cove and a sensor to show the cover is open to allow the MFP to go into firmware update mode when powered up. I have 4 USB drives from 1-2 gigs all different brands and all 4 work for me. Ensure the "U3" software is removed and format to fat32. Emujo

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I've had all kinds of issues with different brand drives working/not working. I've also as some of the others have said, used a drive once, worked fine, used the drive again later, didn't work, and have even had it work again after that. All kinds of craziness. Try a few different brands. I have had luck with PNYs on most of the machines, save the 601/751s.

I guess by what you guys are saying, I should be lucky. The brand I have worked. However its 256MB instead of the recommended 1-2GB in the service manual. Thanks so much for the help. Now I can work. Now, is their something like the NIC settings erase for C220? I have one machine that's not displaying network, shortly after the connectivity through network failed. then when upgrading firmware for C452 I saw "boot Rom" or something like that, wat's it for? Could it be like the NVRAM initialize or something else?

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    The MFP may or may not need a boot rom update. Press the icon for boot rom update and you will get a message showing the MFP is already at this boot level or it will perform the update. Usually you will not have the need for the boot rom update if you are going from a previous version to the newest, but if you are trying to go from a much earlier version ie ver 26 to B8 on the C452 you will need to update the boot rom. Emujo