Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

C353 shorting out

We have a customer with a C353 inconveniently located 90 miles away, so trial and error wouldn't be too productive.

The machine is tripping the circuit breaker in their new building, apparently it did in the old one as well but they never called about it, and there's issues when the machine is plugged into a surge protector as well. This outlet is a dedicated circuit, with no other devices plugged into it. They've also tried different outlets on different circuits, with no luck. The chaos occurs when they try to use the machine for printing or copying, and it doesn't necessarily happen on the first copy.

Between me and the other 3 techs at my company we think it most likely could be the power supply board, and one of us thinks that the fuser could also be causing the short. We have no record in service for when this machine's fuser was replaced, as the customer's a fairly light user of printing/copying, mostly scanning.

There was a faulty fax kit in the machine as well that I was planning to replace on my next visit. I'm not sure if it's necessarily related, but the fax kit wasn't getting dial tone, or any sort of communication, despite being enabled in service mode for the appropriate slot. Could it be related because of how the mount kit attaches to the board in the back? (basically, could the board in the back be bad? forget if it's the mfpb or prcb on that machine)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Re: C353 shorting out

Sounds like the PSU to me. If you had a bad board you probably would have a blown ICP by now. Which would result in an error code. As silly as this sounds. Maybe you have a bad power cord?

Got to love those far away machines with mysterious problems.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    C353 shorting out

Re: C353 shorting out

Have you considered setting up an ammeter to read the load? Circuit breakers can start to fail if tripped frequently, and start to pop at lower current levels.

So #1 find out how many amps your machine is drawing (preferably less than 15A).
    #2 read how many volts AC (preferably 115vac +/- 5%
    #3 read ground to neutral voltage AC (preferably less than 1/2 vac)
    #4 see if the circuit is properly wired (at least 12 gg. wire, correct sized breaker). You'll save yourself a lot of money by hiring an electrician to correct power problems, rather than installing thousands of dollars in unnecessary circuit boards, and not solving anything.

If you're dead set against covering this cost, set up a power quality analyzer for a few days. Identify the issues, and step back.
    IMHO it's very unlikely that the machine is drawing too much power. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=