Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    cwatts

Bizhub 200-350 - Doubling the Transfer Roller Life

In the BizHub 200-350 Series the Transfer Roller Assembly MUST be replaced at regular intervals or the bar will begin to rub on the drum and wear the coating off as well as continue into the aluminum drum itself. To avoid damage to the drum the Transfer Roller Assembly MUST be replaced. However, there is a way to double the life of each Transfer Roller Assembly before replacement. (This is also very handy if you are in the field without a new Transfer Roller Assembly but the wear on the drum is beginning to show.) This works because the drive gear holds the shaft away from the drum on the left side with the gear taking all the pressure, so the left plastic bushing receives no wear. That is why you can swap the bushings and double the life.

1. Simply open the right side door and remove the Transfer Roller Assembly by popping it out of the socket.
    2. Once the gear is off the shaft, remove both the left and right bar retaining screws. (Note - there are plastic spacers which will come out from between the bar and the brackets. Keep these for reassembly.) Carefully remove the bar from both the left and right brackets.
    3. Unclip the left bracket and remove. Note the direction of the plastic bushing. This will be swapped with the right side, so it will need to be flipped, keeping the larger diameter toward the foam portion of the roller. Repeat this for the right side and swap the bushings.
    4. Now replace both the left and right brackets, making sure the bushings are in place with the large diameter toward the foam portion of the roller.
    5. Now replace the spacers on the brackets (note there is an offset and guide tab).
    6. Set the bar on the brackets and replace the screws.
    7. Finally, replace the drive gear, locking clip outward, and you’re ready to reinstall the Transfer Roller Assembly into the unit for an extended life! $$$ Saved and it only takes a few minutes!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: Bizhub 200-350 - Doubling the Transfer Roller Life

not sure I am familiar with that problem. In the past 12 years I have maybe changed 5 transfer rollers on that class of machine. I have over 300 in the field.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Not the transfer roller wearing on the drum....ds collars on the dev unit.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Have never had transfer roller guide plates damaging the drum until now, but felt always uncomfortable about half moon wear on the both levers/tabs which touch the drum surface. To compensate we put in severe cases an extra shim 0.2mm under the levers to keep the guide plate of the transfer roller away from the drum.

BTW its important that the little collars on the transfer roller ends, which keep the transfer roller foam at a defined distance to the drum surface, can turn freely. Otherwise they too can damage the drum surface.

We almost never replace the whole transfer roller assembly. When they are dirty just clean them with plain water and blow them off with an airgun to dry.

Hans
    Last edited by Hansoon; 11-17-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

Those transfer rollers are worth next to nothing, I've never really had much of an issue with them other than squeaks but I do mostly change them if I see excessive wear or they've done 150k or more. I keep them new in the car anyway, along with drum, dev unit and developer. The dev unit has to be seriously impressive to get used again or it simply gets tossed in the garbage - I dont mind as its less work that way

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I dont mind as its less work that way
    Great when your boss agrees with that......

Hans

This may sound crazy, but the transfer roller rubbing on the drum is about as much of a problem as the ds collars are. If the white guides on the Trans roller are worn down the slightest and you pop a new drum in there, you will be back within 10% of that drum life because it will have etched its way into the drum coating. Keep an eye on those white tabs
    Good piece of advice "cwatts"!!
    Everyone has the right to be stupid. Some people just abuse this privelage more than others

Senior Tech 250+ Posts goldencup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Have never had transfer roller guide plates damaging the drum until now, but felt always uncomfortable about half moon wear on the both levers/tabs which touch the drum surface. To compensate we put in severe cases an extra shim 0.2mm under the levers to keep the guide plate of the transfer roller away from the drum.

BTW its important that the little collars on the transfer roller ends, which keep the transfer roller foam at a defined distance to the drum surface, can turn freely. Otherwise they too can damage the drum surface.

We almost never replace the whole transfer roller assembly. When they are dirty just clean them with plain water and blow them off with an airgun to dry.

Hans

sir, may i know where is that half moon located? (may i have a picture) I would like to reconfirm about the shim if is it really 0.2mm and not 2mm? Thank you

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

The two white plastic holder on each end of the transfer roller are wearing in a half moon shape. You won't see a half moon in the machine...