Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Why does IE say cannot display page on some pc's when web'd into pagescope?

I keep firefox as a portable app on my thumbdrive if I don't have my laptop for this reason. I know KON_MIN has a bulletin or something, but it was above my pay grade or exhaustion level when I read it. Something about going into internet options maybe and checking something, disable or enable check for new versions every time or caching??
    Can anybody simplify... in English? Trouble seems to be in more than one Internet Explorer version. Thanks.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Re: Why does IE say cannot display page on some pc's when web'd into pagescope?

I just gave up on that.

Customer: "Hey, this machine sucks! Where are the rest of the buttons on the webpage?"
    Me: "Are you using IE?"
    C: "Of course I am. Why?"
    M: "Try other browser, like Firefox or Chrome..."
    C: "That's ridiculous! Obviously it's the machine's fault!"
    M: "Just humour me..."
    C: "Okay, I'll try, but that's bulls... oh! It's working now!"

I stopped using IE since version 6. Bloated piece of crap.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

chrome doesn't work at all for me on pswc. All i get is a blank page, both at home with my c253 and on the work laptop at customers.

I also notice that safari on mac's do the same thing...

Whats the deal ?

I also never use IE, unless to connect to pswc / cses.

I have configured my iPad to connect to cses by emulating IE and it works well enough to browse bulletins without powering up the p.o.s. laptop.

Also, in regards to IE not opening pswc and giving an error - I have found on numerous occasions the fault to be that SSL has been enabled on the machine for admin mode pswc. IE shits itself without the certificate and is too stupid to automatically obtain one (usually one hasnt even been created by the ****** that turned it on either) If when you go to admin mode the page address start changes to https:// rather than http:// this is your problem.

Additionally, proxy servers cause issues with the web interface too, even when an IP range is added as an exclusion and "bypass proxy server for local addresses" ie is quite often enough too stupid to listen to its own advice and bypass the proxy server. Manually entering in the copiers IP address as an exception works.

This is also the cause of non responsive printer preferences dialog boxes / excessive delays in bringing up printer preferences. Bidirectional communication with the mfp from the driver is interfered with by proxy settings. Entering in the mfp's IP address specifically as an exception will solve this issue instantly. Again, an IP range WILL NOT work, nor will "bypass proxy server for local addresses"

Gotta love M$.
    Last edited by EarthKmTech; 02-29-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

The settings you are looking for is as follows:

1. Internet Explorer
    2. Tools
    3. Internet Options
    4. Under Browsing History, click on Settings
    5. Select the option at the top, Everytime I Visit the Webpage

Whenever you look at a webpage using Internet Explorer, it copies bits and peices of that webpage to your local computer. This is known as caching. The next time you go to visit the webpage, not everything will have to be downloaded again as some of the webpage is stored in the cache which speeds up the process of displaying the webpage.

This can cause issues, especially when filling out forms and so forth through the webpage as IE can sometimes call back on the cache to display a webpage, but the info could be missing because it wasn't downloaded into the cache in the first place.

Changing the option to Everytime I Visit the Webpage force IE to check the webpage for changes which the automatic setting can sometimes miss.

I must be the only person who still prefers to use IE in the world then... lol I just have a lot less trouble with IE when it comes to web interfaces and general webpage compatibility.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Quote Originally Posted by PerthKMTECH View Post
    Additionally, proxy servers cause issues with the web interface too, even when an IP range is added as an exclusion and "bypass proxy server for local addresses" ie is quite often enough too stupid to listen to its own advice and bypass the proxy server. Manually entering in the copiers IP address as an exception works.

This is also the cause of non responsive printer preferences dialog boxes / excessive delays in bringing up printer preferences. Bidirectional communication with the mfp from the driver is interfered with by proxy settings. Entering in the mfp's IP address specifically as an exception will solve this issue instantly. Again, an IP range WILL NOT work, nor will "bypass proxy server for local addresses"

Gotta love M$.
    IE doesn't like ranges, but it loves wildcards for IP scopes such as:

192.168.0.*
    or
    192.168.*

Depending on which octet you put the wildcard into is dependant on how many IP addresses will be excluded from the proxy search.

If your client uses a proxy.pac file for the proxy settings, then may be in trouble unless that file dictates that IP ranges are excluded from outbound traffic.

Its all about the devil you know... lol

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Upgrade your firmware, use the latest version.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The settings you are looking for is as follows:

1. Internet Explorer
    2. Tools
    3. Internet Options
    4. Under Browsing History, click on Settings
    5. Select the option at the top, Everytime I Visit the Webpage
    Those are the settings I was referring to. BUT... Seems unlikely that would be the problem when you sell a refurb BH350, set it up on a customer's win7 machine, latest version of IE, latest f/w on BH. Since IE has never been to 192.168.1.125 (BH I.P. address), wouldn't it HAVE to d/l the page for the first time? This is the scenario I'm describing 90% of the time we are setting up scan one-touch buttons for the first time on a new install and IE says cannot display the page or page not found. Fire up Firefox and it's good.
    As I said earlier if you guys aren't aware of this, you can carry many "Portable Apps" on your thumb drive and they run WITHOUT BEING INSTALLED, so no admin permissions needed. Here's the latest Firefox portable version.
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/por...ot_right_click

But does it fix the problem?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

But does it fix the problem?
    If the Browsing History settings are set to check for newer versions every time under TEMP Internet Files... Well one would assume there are no temp internet files stored for that web page since the machine is new to the customer and the address has never been used, which is the case. I'll be sure to try it next time I run into it. NBD unless I forget my thumbdrive, cust pc/internet is slow as molasses so I have to d/l another browser and install it. Just agrravating!