Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Question C351 Stuck on Hourglass

A client's Bizhub C351 has been acting up lately. They shut down the machine every night using the main power switch. It never had a problem powering back on until recently. Randomly it would get stuck on the startup screen with the hourglass. Usually, turning it off then back on will resolve it. After a few times, I blocked off the main switch to keep it from getting turning off, which seemed to resolve the problem. Over the long weekend, they decided to turn it off again. Now it goes straight to the hourglass screen and gets stuck there. The fans and everything turns on, but the machine remains stuck on the hourglass, no error code. I cant enter the tech rep mode either. When I hold down utility button while turning it on, a black dot appears in the upper right corner. Also, I cannot access it through the brower using Pagescope. I'm at my wits end with this and I've never encountered anything like this. I've tried the following:

1. unplugged then plugged back the machine
    2. removed the RAM and disconnected the HD, then put it all back together
    3. used different RAM
    4. power on, open/close front door
    3. open front door, turned on, then closed door.

Any help would be appreciated.

Service Manager 100+ Posts kyrenecopy's Avatar

Re: C351 Stuck on Hourglass

NVRAM
    Testing 1-2-3, testing, testing. Is this thing on?

Technician

Based on my research, I kind of concluded to NVRAM issue. However, I've never dealt with this either. There seems to be several different approached to this. Any recommended, step-by-step, instructions will be great. Thanks in advance.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar

last time I saw this I had to reload firmware. I would try that first. If not then nvram can only be order via KM SSD and they do not like it.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    C351 Stuck on Hourglass

Lightbulb Re: C351 Stuck on Hourglass

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals ~ The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
    last time I saw this I had to reload firmware. I would try that first. If not then nvram can only be order via KM SSD and they do not like it.
    Thank you for recommendation. Wouldyou mind sharing with me the steps that you took? Thanks in advance.

Technician

Does anyone have a CF card preloaded with the latest firmware for bizhub C351 (Ver. G10-K0) for sale? If so, please contact me directly PM, Thanks!

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

Assuming the panel is illuminated as normal, (if theres no backlight and just an hour glass the fault may be something completely different, ie a blown prcb)

first, try the firmware,

second try the nvram recovery card and only initialize the NIC (I've actually had this be the problem a few times now)

third try the full nvram recovery. You may be lucky enough to have this fix the problem, it has for me in the past without having to replace the NVRAM - if the meter count shows a number in the trillions or otherwise corrupt its terminally screwed and will need to be replaced.

NIC initialise - you will have to setup the various connectivity options again
    full initialise - you will have to setup the machine again like you just unboxed it 7 years ago - with the in box instructions followed to the letter.

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

WOW - you have been fault finding this machine for almost 2 years now ?

That's got to be a record