Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    IC-409 on C650 "Power on Controller"

I have a problem with a Fiery, we have just recieved a C650 back off of contract.
    Which we were going to put an IC-409 controller (which we had in stock),
    but i get an error message on the display which says to "Power on the Controller"

I am a KM service engineer but very rarely look at controllers and any help from someone who has more knowledge on these would be gratefully appreciated.

Partner in crime 100+ Posts Avskrap's Avatar

Re: IC-409 on C650 "Power on Controller"

Did you activate the correct controller in the service menu? If so, make sure the interface cable is correctly installed and not broken/twisted (happens more often than you'd think). Try rebooting the controller, holding the LED button on it until it powers down, turn the power off on the MFP, start up the controller fully until the display reads "00", then power on the MFP. Make sure it doesn't read "FF" or gets stuck at "75". If it does, there's a problem with the controller.
    If that all seems fine and dandy, try reapplying the OS to the controller, along with all the patches.

If that still doesn't do it, you've got yourself either a HW problem with the controller, or the MFP.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

[QUOTE=Avskrap;301802]Did you activate the correct controller in the service menu? If so, make sure the interface cable is correctly installed and not broken/twisted (happens more often than you'd think). Try rebooting the controller, holding the LED button on it until it powers down, turn the power off on the MFP, start up the controller fully until the display reads "00", then power on the MFP. Make sure it doesn't read "FF" or gets stuck at "75". If it does, there's a problem with the controller.
    If that all seems fine and dandy, try reapplying the OS to the controller, along with all the patches.

If that still doesn't do it, you've got yourself either a HW problem with the controller, or the MFP.

Thanks for the quick reply, I have tried a different cable and get the same error but i do get the "00" on the fiery display.

So i hope its the OS or patches, do I upgrade the OS/patches through the MFP, or do I need to do it direct to the fiery with a crossover cable?

Directly through a computer to the controller. Try patching it first, if not you have to reinstall the OS. Good luck!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

You won't be able to patch the Fiery until you have completed the initial setup.

When you run up a Fiery for the first time, it automatically goes into setup mode where you need to setup everything from the controller date and time to networking protocols. Until this is done, you won't be able to contact the Fiery over the network until the setup is complete.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    You won't be able to patch the Fiery until you have completed the initial setup.

When you run up a Fiery for the first time, it automatically goes into setup mode where you need to setup everything from the controller date and time to networking protocols. Until this is done, you won't be able to contact the Fiery over the network until the setup is complete.
    But he should still be able to access the Fiery from the MFP, right? He says it just shows "Power on Controller", wich to me sounds like there's a problem.

The message means that the machine and the Fiery aren't talking to one another.

Even if the machine does go into Setup Mode, the copier should know this, but apparently the machine is still waiting for the Fiery to power up and the Fiery is waiting to be setup.

I would suggest going through the install procedures again to make sure that nothing was missed and if everything seems right there, then I would reload the System Software.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    The message means that the machine and the Fiery aren't talking to one another.

Even if the machine does go into Setup Mode, the copier should know this, but apparently the machine is still waiting for the Fiery to power up and the Fiery is waiting to be setup.

I would suggest going through the install procedures again to make sure that nothing was missed and if everything seems right there, then I would reload the System Software.

I cant even do the setup.
    Does anyone know where i can get the OS from as all i can find on the infohub is the patches!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The rip is not the problem if it goes to 00. you have an interface problem. either cables or the interface board on the copier. playing with the system code reload will just be a waste of time.

Didn't you say that the Fiery unit was a brand new stock item?

If it was, then the System Software disks would have been in the box with the drivers and CommandWorkstation.