Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    C220..Waste toner auger always clogging up!

Question C220..Waste toner auger always clogging up!

I have still got problems on one of these units. It has always done this and needs to have the transfer belt cleaning unit vacumed out about once every 3/4 weeks. The complete chute unit has been replaced and the belt assembly changed to the latest type..with a longer auger with what seem to be a couple of additional protrusions on it at the exit, bit the problem still occurs. The chute is never blocked up just the exit of the cleaner! Firmware is D2. Before I turn it into a boat anchor I wondered if anyone had a fix?

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

Re: C220..Waste toner auger always clogging up!

what are the power save settings set to ?

the transfer belt periodically rotates at idle, any environmental dust that settles on it (due to the fans in the machine running) will settle on it and end up in the cleaning section and potentially causing a clog. There is some truth to the BS KM released about it being caused by carpet fibers, but its not only carpet fibers that will do it.

Everyone one that ive had it happen to have been low volume machines, once setting low power to 30 minutes and sleep to about 180 they've never come back in again. Prior to changing those settings they were coming in once a month resulting in some agro customers. The power save settings used to be set to 240 low power and never go to sleep. I put a stop to that.

Also make sure the waste toner box clips are not loosely holding the box in, if required bend them in a bit so they most positively snap onto the box when its inserted. If the box is able to come out on the left side you will get a blockage in no time also.

make double certain the chute is mounted correctly and isnt blocked at the top as this is where the problem starts, the transfer belt is a symptom of the problem, not the cause.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Lightbulb Re: C220..Waste toner auger always clogging up!

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Senior Tech 100+ Posts AyJayAreDii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EarthKmTech View Post
    what are the power save settings set to ?

Everyone one that ive had it happen to have been low volume machines, once setting low power to 30 minutes and sleep to about 180 they've never come back in again. Prior to changing those settings they were coming in once a month resulting in some agro customers. The power save settings used to be set to 240 low power and never go to sleep. I put a stop to that.
    I have never seen this on any of our machines, but most our machine are set to very low power settings. 10 mins low power and 20 mins sleep is about normal for our machines.

Quote Originally Posted by AyJayAreDii View Post
    I have never seen this on any of our machines, but most our machine are set to very low power settings. 10 mins low power and 20 mins sleep is about normal for our machines.
    there's your answer

Quote Originally Posted by EarthKmTech View Post
    there's your answer
    Thanks for the input, but the energy settings are already 15 mins for low power and 30 for sleep! The unit is quite well used with a lot of different users on secure print mode. I was at this machine today for the usual noise of clicking transfer belt gears, as usual the top of the chute was slightly clogged and the transfer cleaner exit was all clogged! My theory is that the chute top is too small and gets partly closed off by the sponge seal as the belt is slid in. I can never understand why such a pathetic design was used!

I agree that the design is indeed crap, even the box opening is at such an extreme angle that blockage is easy, so they had to add a paddle to get the stuff moving.

fortunately I've had no returns on the ones I've done to date, your machine may just be in an environment that promotes this particular issue.

is it dusty or experiencing extremes of temperature or humidity ?

What kind of printing are they doing ?

the caked toner in the chute may need to be examined under a microscope to see if any airborne particulate is being mixed in with it. Not that you'll be able to do much about it anyway.

one thing i can say is that I've 2 machines right next to each other at one install. one has had the issue and the other never. The environment is clean and tiled without carpet. Could even be the paper now that i think of it. the machine that did it was used to print letterheads and the other one was not. The one thats used for letterheads also gets some purple coloured non toner buildup in the fusing unit, presumably from the letterhead.
    Last edited by EarthKmTech; 08-16-2012 at 09:43 PM.

My C220 is in the same room as a C360, and yes the 360 runs with no problems...as yet! I did notice today that for some reason the transfer roller on the 220 is not coated with yellow toner like the 360 one is! I wonder why not? I am going to a C280 in the morning..so will see what it is doing. This troubled C220 is the only one I have that has the problem, so I just am wondering what to do about it.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

They all come primed in the yellow toner. It just depletes over time and prints.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

We have had loads blocking up, tried antistatic tapes etc but to no avail.
    Now Katun have launched the toner so hopefully the problem will go away with pulverised toner !!!