Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Bizhub 601 FS-524 Jamming--Stapled mode only, J7217 or 7218 Everytime

Thread title says most, been working on this intermittent jamming when ONLY doing stapled sets. Machine always spits an error code of 7217 or 7218 ALWAYS... Machine has 1.5Mil on it, with only 165k staples.... I am running out of ideas, if someone could point me in the right direction It would seriously make my week!

Things I have done:

Checked Guide Sheets for knicks, burrs, paper marks---OK

Replaced Bypass Gate Solenoid SD5

Replaced Paper Exit Sensor

Replaced Finisher Entrance Sensor

Aligned Timing Belt with Cam on Stacker Unit

Replaced Sponge Rollers that guide paper down into stacker

I have scoured these forums and Google and havent been able to find too much, I found a thread on one of the codes but it didnt have much to say...

This issue is kicking my ass, im sure someone here has ran into this?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Bizhub 601 FS-524 Jamming--Stapled mode only, J7217 or 7218 Everytime

This was posted on the bizhub C600 with the FS-504 finisher, but I think you'll find that most of these KM finishers are very similar:

It's jamming J7229 and J7217 but only to tray #1 of the FS-504 finisher, which is the print tray for this customer. Oh, and only after it has sat idle for an hour or so.

The first visit I removed 1 jam, then ran 500 duplex pages to tray #2, the copy tray. Of course it didn't jam.

After 6 visits the FS-504 made it back to the shop, and with some regular prodding we saw it jam a few times. Always after sitting an hour or more, always tray #1.

It was pretty clear that the Nip Moveable Section (KM-speak for that mouth at the exit that cams open and closed as needed) was sticking in some way. We had cleaned and lubricated bushings, changed the solenoid that operates the "moveable" part, and it still did it.

In between the lower surface operated by the solenoid, and the upper surface run by the cam and motor is a couple spongy sound damping pads that had gotten quite mushy and sticky. The resulting 1/2 second delay caused by the pads, created the stall condition at the exit. We just scraped off the pads. It doesn't even click when operating.

I guess the important part of all this is that this basic KM finisher hasn't changed much in 10 years, so watch for this. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Thanks for the reply Blackcat

While good to know, that's not the same issue I'm having... While it does only occur to tray 1 of this fs-524, it's only when sending staple jobs... Punching and straight thru tray 1 is flawless everytime..I'm gonna still look for those sound dampness, I just have to figure out exactly where those are located! ..

I still feel pretty outwitted on this issue

Has anyone ever had luck fixing intermittent finisher jams with a new fnscb? I have an extra one I'm gonna try tomorrow just to say I have.. That board controls a lot of the timings related to the stacking operation..

-Z

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Lightbulb Re: Bizhub 601 FS-524 Jamming--Stapled mode only, J7217 or 7218 Everytime

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by solidzdawg View Post
    Thanks for the reply Blackcat

While good to know, that's not the same issue I'm having... While it does only occur to tray 1 of this fs-524, it's only when sending staple jobs... Punching and straight thru tray 1 is flawless everytime..I'm gonna still look for those sound dampness, I just have to figure out exactly where those are located! ..

I still feel pretty outwitted on this issue

Has anyone ever had luck fixing intermittent finisher jams with a new fnscb? I have an extra one I'm gonna try tomorrow just to say I have.. That board controls a lot of the timings related to the stacking operation..

-Z
    Did you get this working?

I have no idea if this helps, but I was looking through the special firmwares and found a few that were staple-related.
    Special Firmware:
    [MFP FW Ver.GC0-18] Correction of "Jamming when printing booklets with center staple
    on different paper sizes between jobs" and other 4 issues.
    Might want to give that a shot
    SPECIAL [MFP FW Ver. 18-C1]Correction of “Jamming when more than 3 sets of double sided printing
    with staple and punch” and “wrong Display on the Operation Panel” issues.

I thought there were a few more, but I guess I didn't put them in my notes.

Technician

Maybe its the 2 one way gears on the front of the finisher, and shafts.