Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scan to email "connection timeout"

Scan to email not working. Get a "connection timeout" error, about 3 seconds after the original is scanned. Happens everytime. I tried setting up scan to yahoo. Same thing. The timeout is set to 60 secs, but errors after only 3.....Very weird. Scan to smb works fine. Can ping everything as well....
    Anyone see anything like this?
    Everyone has the right to be stupid. Some people just abuse this privelage more than others

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar

Re: Scan to email "connection timeout"

job list > job details > scan(or send) > job history > highlight failed job > details > post error message and/or code.

This could be about 100 different items from a misspelled email server to blocked firewall to improperly setup mail account.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What model is this?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Mr Spock....that is the detailed error "connection timeout" I've tried a few email servers so it's nothing with those.....

It's on a biz 552

Forgot to mention they have another 552 and a biz 600 that work fine with scan to email. No settings are different between the two 552's........
    Everyone has the right to be stupid. Some people just abuse this privelage more than others

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    I wonder if firmware and soft switches between the two 552s are the same. Then I would set TCP/IP to dhcp and auto obtain network settings and try again with a different IP address. Make sure DNS is set correct. I always add googles DNS settings in addition to DNS servers on your lan if possible. After that I would backup address book and etc then factory reset the copier data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Both copiers on the same firmware? Also, for giggles try a new cable.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

I Reflashed machine with current firmware, used a different cable. This machine was working and all of a sudden stopped. I'm thinking something to do with HDD or memory.........

Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Scan to email failing is rarely the fault of the machine. Do they host their own email server? If so have their IT checked the log files for the server? Do they use their ISP's email server? If so have they set up an individual account for this MFP, and entered the correct login? Have you done a Packet Capture to see the network flow when the machine request and email connection?
    Online Store is closed. Chip resetting is a thing of the past! Thank you to all my past customers.
    Now into Ip TV KODI Boxes

I've tried a few different email servers and none work, so I really don't think it has anything to do with their email server........

Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Obviously you believe you have a hardware issue. I still say the best way to trouble shoot Scan to email issues is to look at the network side. Do a packet capture, this will usually show you the problem. You say you have tried multiple email servers so it must be a hardware issue. As Mr Spock pointed out to begin with there are 100 things, if DNS is wrong, gateway is wrong, from address is misspelled, or firewall is blocking. You are not going to connect to any server on the other side of the router.

If you cannot do a packet capture start with the basics:
    1. Can you Ping the email server from the machine?
    2. Is there an Email Account set up specifically for that machine? If not set one up.
    3. You say you have another of the same model on site, if you take the non working one off the network and change the ip address of the working machine to that of the non working machine can you still scan?
    4. How are the Ip Addresses assigned on this network are they static outside the realm of the DHCP or are they DHCP assigned and reserved? Note if they are reserved the above step won't work!
    5. If you are absolutely convinced that it is a hardware issue. Then back up everything in the machine and reset the NIC then reconfigure and test.
    Online Store is closed. Chip resetting is a thing of the past! Thank you to all my past customers.
    Now into Ip TV KODI Boxes