Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: E series rebooting problem. Who's dealing with it?

Don, the problem is...this process is not nearly as easy as you think it is. KM (and all manufacturers, I would wager) keeps strict control over the availability of NVRAM/SSDB/etc, for obvious reasons. You are asking for a Technician, a Service Manager, and a Dealership to put their respective necks on the line for a couple hundred bucks. It's simply not worth the potential heat from KM. Professional courtesy is nice and all, but you are not accounting for the risk involved for the participating dealer.
    Last edited by 907tec; 01-31-2018 at 12:34 AM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 907tec View Post
    Don, the problem is...this process is not nearly as easy as you think it is. KM (and all manufacturers, I would wager) keeps strict control over the availability of NVRAM/SSDB/etc, for obvious reasons. You are asking for a Technician, a Service Manager, and a Dealership to put their respective necks on the line for a couple hundred bucks. It's simply not worth the potential heat from KM. Professional courtesy is nice and all, but you are not accounting for the risk involved for the participating dealer.
    Hey, I appreciate your feedback. You're right. I just don't get it. No one's asking a dealer to do anything wrong. Copiers get sold and moved from state to state. That's legal. The buyers and sellers and even the original owners that move them own the equipment, regardless of who sold it. It's not stolen, or black or grey market, although a lot of authorized dealers treat off lease equipment like it is. They tell my customers its "legacy" or "discontinued", even with 4+ years of support left. They are not even on KM's 3 year end of life list. For a dealer to be told by KM that there's a problem supporting a machine they didn't happen to sell is ridiculous. Say I buy a Smith & Wesson pistol in Montana and move to Florida, and I need service, especially for a problem that has a factory bulletin out on it. Say my local dealer didn't address the issue within a year. I can go to any S&W dealer and get the part, order it from S&W, or have them fix it if it's beyond my ability - MY CHOICE. Not everyone has a contract, and that's not illegal. Not every dealer addressed every machine under contract, and that's not the owner's fault. So the problem is with KM, and/or it's authorized dealers. They can point to their SSD vendors but it's still on them. Putting a time limit on the repair action is on them too. KM has the parts, and has recently provided them to their authorized dealers (still at no charge, but cost is irrelevant). I want to purchase said parts from any authorized dealer that will sell them, and pay their reasonable asking price. So far no dealer wants to take the time. You say they are taking a risk. From my view, the risk is that they are busy and it's off the beaten path, and they need to get their priority contract calls done. They consider this a favor, and a pain. A per-call customer is already low priority. A "legacy" machine and a tedious order process make it all the more so.
    Please explain the risk, because no-one's trying to game the system. I'm just trying to fix three of KM's lost and abandoned mistakes that I legally purchased with a verifiable chain of custody. I genuinely thank you for your insight.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rrrohan View Post
    pay KM tech to do. still better than having them collect dust even if it does cost a bit in labour

call a certified service agent in. they have to open a ticket with km ssd listing sn, meters, symptoms. the only way i've seen these shipped is through ssd tickets being filed.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Albonline View Post
    call a certified service agent in. they have to open a ticket with km ssd listing sn, meters, symptoms. the only way i've seen these shipped is through ssd tickets being filed.
    I guess there's the rub... 28 years of being an indy and other than sending them business like software solutions that I don't sell, the number of times I've had to get an authorized dealer/tech on my equipment is...zero. It's not about pride. It's the fact that I can do the work myself but Konica and their auth. dealerships don't want to sell the parts without labor. It reeks of class action. (and if I blow the equipment up, that's my problem. It's DOA anyway, so what are they accomplishing?)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
    I guess there's the rub... 28 years of being an indy and other than sending them business like software solutions that I don't sell, the number of times I've had to get an authorized dealer/tech on my equipment is...zero. It's not about pride. It's the fact that I can do the work myself but Konica and their auth. dealerships don't want to sell the parts without labor. It reeks of class action. (and if I blow the equipment up, that's my problem. It's DOA anyway, so what are they accomplishing?)
    with the discontinuation of hard counters ,the point of this is to ensure the meter count history of a given unit/sn. we all know there are those who would just clear the meters and call it new or refurbed.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Clear the meters? Doesn't that conflict with what others have said... that the meters would be preserved if you install a new SSD, or cleanse/reset an mfb if necessary? I didn't know there was any scenario that would end in new meters unless several NEW boards were installed.
    Regardless, the machine is customer property, regardless if it's me or anyone. Replacement parts should be made available through dealers, or wholesale channel. ESPECIALLY when they know there was a big batch if bad ssd's sold.
    If this were the automobile market, KMBS would be lambasted!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Don't know about the USA but these ssd boards are now available in the U.K. as a spare part and can be ordered as such.
    However this is closely monitored by the parts department to avoid any stockpiling or selling on to unauthorised dealers.
    I certainly wouldn't risk my job by selling them on....

Red face Re: E series rebooting problem. Who's dealing with it?

Last edited by jabatt; 03-25-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    E series rebooting problem. Who's dealing with it?

Quote Originally Posted by jabatt View Post
    This would be a useful tool if it can fix a faulty SSD ? (continual reboot issues)
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

What is it?
    If there's a link, it's not working.