Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Smells from C352

Smells from C352

Has anyone had any problems with this unit giving off an acrid smell that seems to come from the fuser unit. The smell really is quite annoying and the users are complaining about it affecting their breathing. The machine is working properly and is lightly used. The fuser is not overheating and no paper is stuck in it.

field service supervisor 100+ Posts mikeena's Avatar
    i have not seen this at all but what you could do is to tell the customers to stop breathing.... hahahaha. how old is the fuser unit

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Smells from C352

The fuser and machine only have 2.8k on them. I think that the smell comes from the yellow parts/guides. We are going to change the fuser as the first action.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I had a customer complain that her C550 smelled like a hair salon and it was making her sick, never did smell it. I think the tech ended up changing the fusing unit for the ticking noise (yeah I know they suppossed to make that noise, but the customer didn't believe us)

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Cool

I get calls all of the time for smells or odors. I never seem to notice anything. Do we as techs get used to the smell of ozone? I kind of like the smell. I wonder if I can get an ozone scented air freshener that is shaped like a copier?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts The Otrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    I think the tech ended up changing the fusing unit for the ticking noise (yeah I know they suppossed to make that noise, but the customer didn't believe us)
    Never had one smell bad. However, there is a mod kit available from KM to stop the ticking sound. It's a spacer designed for the fuser unit. It's in a bulletin online. I don't exactly remember the number though.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Otrain View Post
    Never had one smell bad. However, there is a mod kit available from KM to stop the ticking sound. It's a spacer designed for the fuser unit. It's in a bulletin online. I don't exactly remember the number though.
    Yeah I know. This is just one of those customers. She called four times about the smell before the tech could get there. The last time she said she had to shut the machine down because she couldn't take it anymore. The tech couldn't find it. Then she called back about a noise, tech couldn't find anything. The tech went ahead replaced the fuser, then the next day she called and said her machine was to quiet. (Pounds head on desk). Its a weekly customer that holds the record for most daily calls in a row. And also doesn't understand why KM doesn't consult her on how a machine should work.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    should have kept my mouth shut, she called and I drew the short straw. She wants a total of 8 things fixed first thing tommorow.

Technician
    We have had some of this on setup in the shop smell like an electrical fire but seems to disapate soon. I have had fuser units on the C451-550-650 have a bearing lock up and the grease comes out and gives a burning smell, but usually this is associated with a grinding sound.

Rene

Smell

Got the same problems two weeks ago. I changed the fusing unit and the problem was solved.

Greetings from Austria