Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mkweick

2 Bizhub 454e machines Responding to Pings but can't print/scan

We have 2 Bizhub 454e's in our network and it seems like every Saturday morning people report they can't print to these two machines. We then diagnose it the same way, it CAN be pinged successfully on both machines but we can't print or scan to it, we can't access the web interface, and our print server says it offline as well.

We have the latest firmware on both machines and we have removed the setting of letting it go to sleep to rule that out as well. We have an AS400 based ERP system that prints to both of these printers for reports, the AS400 reboots everyday on Saturday morning at 2am. This is the only thing I could think of that happens early Saturday morning. It seems like when these 2 machines have issues, there can be other network related issues, but for the majority it's largely just these 2 454 printers.

Also - when this happens, after we reboot each machine, both 454e printers just sit flashing and orange light on controller screen and the screen menu bar keeps flashing between "Preparing User Box" and "Preparing Scan/Fax".

I have ran scans to make sure there are no duplicate IP addresses or hostnames on our network. This issue clears itself sometimes from a reboot and sometimes without a reboot. It's hard to tell what exactly could be causing this and it's also hard to tell what the actual resolution is each time.

This has been a very frustrating issue with these printers, anyone else experience this before?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    2 Bizhub 454e machines Responding to Pings but can't print/scan

Re: 2 Bizhub 454e machines Responding to Pings but can't print/scan

Are your endusers using Account Tracking Password Only? At the current J6 version of the firmware there remains a problem of the machine experiencing logic lockups anywhere from once a week to 3 times a day. The machine becomes unresponsive to the keyboard or printing, or the web interface. As of today, the only workaround I know of is to shut off the Account Tracking, or changing the setting to Username and Password.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I wonder what would trigger that?

Check to see if there is no schedule setup on the machine under power save or per user. Or just change the date to check.

mkweick

If the keyboard is unresponsive and I can't hit the web interface, how am I supposed to check account tracking setting?

I don't believe we are using any account racking codes though, what do you mean by "or changing the setting to us username and password."

Allan - can you clarify "Or just change the date to check."

mkweick

Okay - I had to disconnect the ethernet cord from the printer, reboot, and then it allowed me to use the screen and get to the admin settings that way.

Both User Authentication and Account Track is OFF and Print without Authentication is set to ALLOW.

Quote Originally Posted by mkweick View Post
    If the keyboard is unresponsive and I can't hit the web interface, how am I supposed to check account tracking setting?

I don't believe we are using any account racking codes though, what do you mean by "or changing the setting to us username and password."

Allan - can you clarify "Or just change the date to check."
    The machine has got a setting to make the machine go to sleep and wake-up at specified times, and you can also restrict users to only be able to use the machines at certain times. But this is not on by default.

If the basic screen is not blocked by a screen that asks for login detail the account tracking and user auth is not on. under account tracking you can select password only then there is no need for the user to enter the account name only the password is needed.

There is firmware/SSD upgrade out for the unresponsive panel and coming out of sleep issue. What is your current firmware version?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

i have the same problem for some couple days now in two machines ineo 454e and ineo +454 , when i remove the network cable the two messages "Preparing User Box" and "Preparing Scan/Fax" stop appearing and when i put it back it gets back to same problem !
    have you solved the problem mkweick ?

Quote Originally Posted by jakani View Post
    i have the same problem for some couple days now in two machines ineo 454e and ineo +454 , when i remove the network cable the two messages "Preparing User Box" and "Preparing Scan/Fax" stop appearing and when i put it back it gets back to same problem !
    have you solved the problem mkweick ?
    Try changing the network speed setting on the machine from auto to 100Mbs full duplex. Are u using a static ip for the machine or is it using DHCP? Still thinking firmware.
    Last edited by allan; 01-26-2015 at 05:16 AM.