Technician

Meaning of KM Firmware name

I have asked numerous people at KM what does the naming scheme of KM firmware mean? For example, A2XK0Y0-F000-G00-72 . I know the first 7 digits is the product code defining what machine, and the last is the version number, but the remainder is a mystery. All I have been able to get from corporate is "that's the way KMI sends it to us". Does anyone have any additional light they can shed on the subject? Several times it has come up and I would like to give more of an answer than "I don't know".

Thanks,

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Meaning of KM Firmware name

Unless you're one of the engineers that designs the firmware, there is no answer lol.

It's just a "that's just the way they name them" type of response. If your customer wants something more, make some nice sounding stuff up. xD

It's just like that with Kyocera. They will say it's "V 9.00 firmware" but when you put it on the copier, and print out a status page with the firmware version listed, it shows up as some random string of numbers and letters with no correlation to "V 9.00" anywhere in sight. The way I keep those straight is the date it puts at the end, with when the firmware was written, and even then it can be a pain in the ass to come to a machine with firmware from 2013 only to find out that that is the latest and greatest haha

Technician

[QUOTE=stevena86;461367]Unless you're one of the engineers that designs the firmware, there is no answer lol.

It's just a "that's just the way they name them" type of response. If your customer wants something more, make some nice sounding stuff up. xD

It's just like that with Kyocera. They will say it's "V 9.00 firmware" but when you put it on the copier, and print out a status page with the firmware version listed, it shows up as some random string of numbers and letters with no correlation to "V 9.00" anywhere in sight. The way I keep those straight is the date it puts at the end, with when the firmware was written, and even then it can be a pain in the ass to come to a machine with firmware from 2013 only to find out that that is the latest and greatest haha[/QUOTE

True. I didn't write all that crap, just the poor shlub that has to install it and know what every little thing it fixes. I will go on telling everyone to send away for their little orphan Annie decoder ring and tell me what it says when they decipher it.

Hi,
    I work in product support for KM in production.
    I have no idea regarding the "office" firmware naming but I do know the production firmware

So for instance the latest image firmware for C1060/70 is as follows (broken up into the sections for better understanding)

A50U 0Y0 00I0 G00 1700

First four digits denote the model
    Second Three digits denote the region (0Y0 means all. 010 JP. 020 US. 030 EU. 040AP etc)
    Third four digits firmware type (00I0 image, 00C0 print control etc)
    Fourth three digits denote mass production or special firmware (G00 is mass production, anything other than 00 means special version)
    Last four digits denotes firmware version

Hope you find this info useful.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mick01 View Post
    Hi,
    I work in product support for KM in production.
    I have no idea regarding the "office" firmware naming but I do know the production firmware

So for instance the latest image firmware for C1060/70 is as follows (broken up into the sections for better understanding)

A50U 0Y0 00I0 G00 1700

First four digits denote the model
    Second Three digits denote the region (0Y0 means all. 010 JP. 020 US. 030 EU. 040AP etc)
    Third four digits firmware type (00I0 image, 00C0 print control etc)
    Fourth three digits denote mass production or special firmware (G00 is mass production, anything other than 00 means special version)
    Last four digits denotes firmware version

Hope you find this info useful.
    I suspect that you are a rebel at heart. Your answer is unmistakably clear and concise.
    My dealer rep has never used such language. When he is finished speaking I frequently ask myself what question he has answered (certainly not mine). He is the master of dis-information.

Please take this as a direct compliment. Persevere. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Wow, I feel bad, I just "liked" the post. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    Wow, I feel bad, I just "liked" the post. Emujo
    #

PM me your email and I'll send you a firmware tree.. not full but enough to understand the works.
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE