Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scan via USB

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Scan via USB

I have a customer who has a FS-1135 in a very small machine shop connect by USB. He'd like to scan to e-mail or SMB, but I can't even figure out the TWAIN driver on the thing. Surprised I haven't run in to this issue by now. Any help would be appreciated.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Scan via USB

Re: Scan via USB

Load the twain driver on the PC.
    On the PC, go to Programs and set the TWAIN driver settings.
    Use TWAIN compatible software to scan.

Looks to me like the TWAIN driver setting will use an IP address so TWAIN would need a network rather than a USB connection.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

That's what I'm afraid of.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

FS-1135MFP doesn't have network twain, so it's usb only in that case which is tbh rather slow and inconvenient. Tell him not to be cheap and spend like 20$ on some cheap switch and one utp cable. Than he can do whatever he wants.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Scan via USB

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo fan View Post
    FS-1135MFP doesn't have network twain, so it's usb only in that case which is tbh rather slow and inconvenient. Tell him not to be cheap and spend like 20$ on some cheap switch and one utp cable. Than he can do whatever he wants.

I haven't personally tried TWAIN on an FS-1135. A kyocera doc I found online says it supports USB TWAIN, but the user manual instructions for setting the TWAIN driver includes entering the IP address of the device in the TWAIN driver. One of our techs was trying to get TWAIN to work and when I was walking him through the instructions on the phone, he said the TWAIN driver setup asks for the address of the copier.

From all this I assume network TWAIN.

Since the device doesn't have a HDD, I'm not sure exactly how it works but the 2550 used network TWAIN without a HDD.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Scan via USB

Almost all brands now require a network to scan.
    If they want a simple, use the software kind of machine, sell them a desktop model just for local printing and scanning.
    Most of these are designed for USB scanning. The bigger boxes require a network connection for scanning.
    Why waste money creating a scanning program when SMB and email are more stable and built into the machine that works with most platforms?
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo fan View Post

it is possible to use twain driver using usb cable, there is option to select model with usb. no need to enter ip adress

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Scan via USB

You might be able to make this work, but if you do, you (not some IT company or guy) will have to support it.

.....just sayin'

Good luck

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Scan via USB

Why not just hand him a thumb drive and show him how to scan to USB memory.. easy peasy, & then he can pop it in his PC & do whatever he wants, email, edit, folder... the possibilities are endless

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I would hope this issue has either been resolved or machine upgraded - the original post is over six years old!