Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    AITJeff

KM-6330 Slipping Gears

I'm having a problem pinpointing the gear(s) that are slipping/grinding. I've replaced the obvious. The gear is in the left rear behind the heater and I think on the back wall of the unit. Any suggestions on how to reach that area? The grind starts after turning on and going through the cleaning cycle.

Senior Production Tech 100+ Posts texchar555's Avatar
    jeff, You need to replace the the white gear thats on the adu unit the part that slides out of the machine with the fuser unit on it. there are two white gears one larger than the other. It you replaced those than I would say your waste system is backed up.

windalina
    Check the fixing drive coupler. I have had two of the gears on the coupler strip teeth and grind. You must remover the fixing drive motor and then the drive coupler.

AITJeff
    Thank you, I belive that could be my problem. Any suggestions on how to reach this area? Jeff.

windalina

Like this....

Unplug machine. Remove upper and lower rear covers. Remove the screws that hold the swing out section, once this is done the section swings away and you have access to all drive at rear of machine. The fixing motor (on right as you are facing rear of copier) and its mounting bracket are removed together. I normally have the fixing unit pulled out during all of this, as there is poor lighting in my machine location. After removing the motor/bracket, there is a gear to the left of the fixing coupler that will need to be removed. This gear interferes with the removal of the coupler. Then remove the 4 screws holding the coupler. it has to be worked up and tilted slightly as to remover the portion which goes thru the rear frame and couples the main fixing drive. You will probably find a gear missing some teeth. Good Luck! Wendy

AITJeff
    Thanks, I was able to observe the gears as they move from the back of the unit. No broken or stripped gears but I replaced them since I had it open. The one part that wasn't turning properly was the piece that engages the toner transfer "thing." It seemed to work initially but after about 4 pages the slipping sound started again. I'm beginning to believe it is the transfer belt as it looks old and sticky and the back side of my pages come out dirty with toner. Cleaned everything and replaced toner reservoir
    ...stumped. Jeff

windalina

Check this.

I have also had the idle gear between the fixing drive and the transfer belt strip. This gear is located on the rear left of the transfer/fixing assy. The gear is mounted to the inside of the frame just after the transfer belt cleaning roller drive but before the fixing drive rear. Good luck.