Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scan to folder-setting up without a password

Hi guys do you have to have a password for windows when you're setting up a folder on command center? Like say if someone doesn't want a windows password. Any help would be great.

Technician

Re: Scan to folder-setting up without a password

From my experience, yes, a password is necessary. Haven't been able to find a way around it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tcook View Post
    From my experience, yes, a password is necessary. Haven't been able to find a way around it.
    this is a difficult question
    in canon machines sometimes it requires user and password when using smb protocol to send file to a shared folder

and if not registered in windows it accepts any random user and password

and sometimes it force you to register a user and password and you should use them

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BabblingXombie View Post
    Hi guys do you have to have a password for windows when you're setting up a folder on command center? Like say if someone doesn't want a windows password. Any help would be great.

I've had some that would work if the user didn't have a password assigned to their username. I just entered "password" in the password field of the address book.

Some systems worked without a password for awhile, but then required a valid password after a Windows update.

It depends mostly on the OS of the computer you are scanning to.

Yeah that's what happened to me too. It would work on some os systems and some not.

Thanks Guys

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Prior to Windows 7 you could SMB scan to folder without a password. From Win 7 on a password is required period, no way around it.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Prior to Windows 7 you could SMB scan to folder without a password. From Win 7 on a password is required period, no way around it.
    Yep. Exactly right!

I remember with XP and earlier we often scanned to folder with no password.

We found no tweaks or adjustments in Windows 7 that would allow it.

It was a huge pain early on until we verified that passwords were required, regardless of the brand of MFP.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Just create a separate user account for Scanner with the user name and password being "scans" . The end user will never log into this account therefore when they sign into their computer they won't have to use a password. Plus if any changes are made on the computer (i.e. a new user creating a password) you shouldn't have to worry about the customer calling you back and saying the copier isn't scanning anymore.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    Just create a separate user account for Scanner with the user name and password being "scans" . The end user will never log into this account therefore when they sign into their computer they won't have to use a password. Plus if any changes are made on the computer (i.e. a new user creating a password) you shouldn't have to worry about the customer calling you back and saying the copier isn't scanning anymore.
    Reed is Spot On!...just create a secondary user for the MFP with a password!...works even if main user doesn't want/need a password!

I have always created a secondary account for the MFP. REASON--If the user is in a corporate environment and is required to change their password frequently, it won't affect the MFP login. Additionally, if it is a domain controlled user/password system, have the IT department create an account SPECIFICALLY for the MFP!...then it can login to drop the files as needed on whatever machine!...this would be an account for the MFP that doesn't change name or password--it won't expire!

ieeeee 50+ Posts

Set up the Kyocera Scanner File Utility.

Otherwise your settings up a dummy account that never has to be accessed or adjusted. Just uses to authenticate.