Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Technician BabblingXombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    5

    Scan to folder-setting up without a password

    Hi guys do you have to have a password for windows when you're setting up a folder on command center? Like say if someone doesn't want a windows password. Any help would be great.


  2. #2
    Technician
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Scan to folder-setting up without a password

    From my experience, yes, a password is necessary. Haven't been able to find a way around it.


  3. #3
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    109
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Scan to folder-setting up without a password

    Quote Originally Posted by tcook View Post
    From my experience, yes, a password is necessary. Haven't been able to find a way around it.
    this is a difficult question
    in canon machines sometimes it requires user and password when using smb protocol to send file to a shared folder

    and if not registered in windows it accepts any random user and password

    and sometimes it force you to register a user and password and you should use them


  4. #4
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    469
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Scan to folder-setting up without a password

    Quote Originally Posted by BabblingXombie View Post
    Hi guys do you have to have a password for windows when you're setting up a folder on command center? Like say if someone doesn't want a windows password. Any help would be great.

    I've had some that would work if the user didn't have a password assigned to their username. I just entered "password" in the password field of the address book.

    Some systems worked without a password for awhile, but then required a valid password after a Windows update.

    It depends mostly on the OS of the computer you are scanning to.


  5. #5
    Technician BabblingXombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Scan to folder-setting up without a password

    Yeah that's what happened to me too. It would work on some os systems and some not.

    Thanks Guys


  6. #6
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Scan to folder-setting up without a password


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Concord, NH
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Scan to folder-setting up without a password

    Prior to Windows 7 you could SMB scan to folder without a password. From Win 7 on a password is required period, no way around it.


  7. #7
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    2,926
    Rep Power
    70

    Re: Scan to folder-setting up without a password

    Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Prior to Windows 7 you could SMB scan to folder without a password. From Win 7 on a password is required period, no way around it.
    Yep. Exactly right!

    I remember with XP and earlier we often scanned to folder with no password.

    We found no tweaks or adjustments in Windows 7 that would allow it.

    It was a huge pain early on until we verified that passwords were required, regardless of the brand of MFP.

    So, just when is this "old enough to know better" thing supposed to kick in?

  8. #8
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Scan to folder-setting up without a password

    Just create a separate user account for Scanner with the user name and password being "scans" . The end user will never log into this account therefore when they sign into their computer they won't have to use a password. Plus if any changes are made on the computer (i.e. a new user creating a password) you shouldn't have to worry about the customer calling you back and saying the copier isn't scanning anymore.


  9. #9
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Meridian, MS
    Posts
    586
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Scan to folder-setting up without a password

    Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    Just create a separate user account for Scanner with the user name and password being "scans" . The end user will never log into this account therefore when they sign into their computer they won't have to use a password. Plus if any changes are made on the computer (i.e. a new user creating a password) you shouldn't have to worry about the customer calling you back and saying the copier isn't scanning anymore.
    Reed is Spot On!...just create a secondary user for the MFP with a password!...works even if main user doesn't want/need a password!

    I have always created a secondary account for the MFP. REASON--If the user is in a corporate environment and is required to change their password frequently, it won't affect the MFP login. Additionally, if it is a domain controlled user/password system, have the IT department create an account SPECIFICALLY for the MFP!...then it can login to drop the files as needed on whatever machine!...this would be an account for the MFP that doesn't change name or password--it won't expire!





  10. #10
    ieeeee
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Janesville
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Scan to folder-setting up without a password

    Set up the Kyocera Scanner File Utility.

    Otherwise your settings up a dummy account that never has to be accessed or adjusted. Just uses to authenticate.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-=-=-=-=-=-


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here