Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KM 5500i

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    KM 5500i

KM 5500i

I have a 5500i, doing a PM and tried to do the backup for upgrading firmware, not sure if my usb is not standard but the backup software is not working. I tried several times put it on the USB opened.. it did act like it tried to everything on the list said no change.. the CTROL ERROR..
    Does any one have any experience with this procedure?

Bill

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    KM 5500i

Re: KM 5500i

Quote Originally Posted by kmtech View Post
    I have a 5500i, doing a PM and tried to do the backup for upgrading firmware, not sure if my usb is not standard but the backup software is not working. I tried several times put it on the USB opened.. it did act like it tried to everything on the list said no change.. the CTROL ERROR..

Bill
    So what do you need to backup before doing firmware? The addressbook? I haven't had firmware kill a Kyocera in quite a long time. The risk IMHO is very low. What size USB are you using? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    KM 5500i

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    So what do you need to backup before doing firmware? The addressbook? I haven't had firmware kill a Kyocera in quite a long time. The risk IMHO is very low. What size USB are you using? =^..^=
    I was hoping for someone who does mita as a primary line. If you were to do a PM on a 5500i, Kit comes with new eprom.. and to used it you must run backup software.. thanks for you time

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    KM 5500i

Bill
    I don't remember the procedure off the top of my head, but there should have been a pretty detailed instruction sheet included with the eeprom.

Here's what I can remember ( may not be complete, use the sheet with the new eeprom ) :

You need 2 usb drives. the first with the special firmware for backing up eeprom data, the second with the latest machine firmware.

Load the special firmware, restart the machine and run the backup from maint mode. This will save the eeprom data to the hard drive.

Shut the machine down and remove the old eeprom carefully ( save it for the time being in case something doesn't work ). Install the new eeprom. ( be careful to get the eeprom pins in the correct orientation )

Restart the machine and go into maint mode to restore the eeprom data from the hard drive.

Shut the machine down and then restart with usb loaded with the latest firmware.

Should be all good.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    KM 5500i

Quote Originally Posted by darry1322 View Post
    I don't remember the procedure off the top of my head, but there should have been a pretty detailed instruction sheet included with the eeprom.

Here's what I can remember ( may not be complete, use the sheet with the new eeprom ) :

You need 2 usb drives. the first with the special firmware for backing up eeprom data, the second with the latest machine firmware.

Load the special firmware, restart the machine and run the backup from maint mode. This will save the eeprom data to the hard drive.

Shut the machine down and remove the old eeprom carefully ( save it for the time being in case something doesn't work ). Install the new eeprom. ( be careful to get the eeprom pins in the correct orientation )

Restart the machine and go into maint mode to restore the eeprom data from the hard drive.

Shut the machine down and then restart with usb loaded with the latest firmware.

Should be all good.
    Yes Sir, your on the same page, but i did follow the instruction it came with, but when i tried to run the backup software from the usb, I coundnt get it to backup, not sure whats the problem i tried 3 different usb's, the last time i tried it. Like i said it listed all the different directory and said no change, at the top left of the screen it said Cntl ERROR.. can i try to upgrade the Firmware without new EEprom? I wondering if the usb is a specific type or size??????

KM 5500i

Yes Sir, your on the same page, but i did follow the instruction it came with, but when i tried to run the backup software from the usb, I coundnt get it to backup, not sure whats the problem i tried 3 different usb's, the last time i tried it. Like i said it listed all the different directory and said no change, at the top left of the screen it said Cntl ERROR.. can i try to upgrade the Firmware without new EEprom? I wondering if the usb is a specific type or size??????

Just to verify, you did load the special firmware BEFORE you swapped out the eeprom correct?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    KM 5500i

Quote Originally Posted by darry1322 View Post
    Just to verify, you did load the special firmware BEFORE you swapped out the eeprom correct?
    No, the software would not install!!! Is there a special way to install on usb or a special usher to use???

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    KM 5500i

Ah! None of us could figure out the installation procedure for the new EEPROM. This is very helpful. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

KM 5500i

No, the software would not install!!! Is there a special way to install on usb or a special usher to use???

Not that I recall.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Are you sure a new eeprom has not been installed already in a previous pm. ? The bulletin has the procedure for backup, restore and any errors during the procedure.

see the bulletin below on kyoceaa Astea site for the full details of the bulletin.

CS 3500i/4500i/5500i-11

To make you search effective and to retrieve this bulletin, type the following in the search line.

5500iENTB11.pdf
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke