Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KM 5500i

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: KM 5500i

Quote Originally Posted by kmtech View Post
    can i try to upgrade the Firmware without new EEprom?
    You can indeed perform the PM and upgrade complete firmware (read: NOT SPECIAL f/w) without installing the new EEPROM. The EEPROM addresses a problem with this Taskalfa series that altered the fax counter when the machine approached 2 million total copies.

It is, of course, still recommended to install the new EEPROM. The bulletin, as well as the sheet included with the kit, cover everything you need to know about installing and performing the update.

IIRC, the updated EEPROM has a red marker. Check the machine to make sure a new one hasn't already been installed.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    KM 5500i

Quote Originally Posted by wragsdale View Post
    You can indeed perform the PM and upgrade complete firmware (read: NOT SPECIAL f/w) without installing the new EEPROM. The EEPROM addresses a problem with this Taskalfa series that altered the fax counter when the machine approached 2 million total copies.

It is, of course, still recommended to install the new EEPROM. The bulletin, as well as the sheet included with the kit, cover everything you need to know about installing and performing the update.

IIRC, the updated EEPROM has a red marker. Check the machine to make sure a new one hasn't already been installed.
    Thanks much, I am indeed indebted to!! Save a lot of time do to the fact of the learning curve, it kinda seems it may have been done, I will check for the red mark!! I will follow up with the out come!! I used a USB on other firmware updates, I opened the files and copy pasted individual files and copier would I D them and bring them in. But you know how they change procedures on us from year to year! So again it will accept any USB??? Thanks again!!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I don't think there is a size limit for the USB drive, but to be safe you may want to use one under 8GB.

Also, I was wrong about the red marking. It's actually an "R" on the top right corner of the EEPROM. As seen here: http://puu.sh/lvbfz/34503f93bf.jpg

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    KM 5500i

There's an R on the new eeprom & you can also verify it's been installed by printing the your U000 pages. At the end of the maint sheets there are digits instead of xxx's on there if the eeprom has been updated. It's in the installation instructions. I've done tons of them on mono & color machines without any problem/
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    KM 5500i

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    There's an R on the new eeprom & you can also verify it's been installed by printing the your U000 pages. At the end of the maint sheets there are digits instead of xxx's on there if the eeprom has been updated. It's in the installation instructions. I've done tons of them on mono & color machines without any problem/
    Thanks, for taking the time to help.. with the info i will maybe get this machine ready by Tus. Thanks.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    KM 5500i

Quote Originally Posted by wragsdale View Post
    I don't think there is a size limit for the USB drive, but to be safe you may want to use one under 8GB.

Also, I was wrong about the red marking. It's actually an "R" on the top right corner of the EEPROM. As seen here: http://puu.sh/lvbfz/34503f93bf.jpg
    Thanks a great deal.. I will check tomorrow, and get back at ya.

KM 5500i

Also, you're not backing anything up to USB. You're loading special firmware on which adds U026. This code allows you to back up the eeprom to the HDD, then restore it to the new eeprom.
    Load special firmware. Reboot machine & run 026 backup. Install new chip & power on, then restore in u026. Power off then reload full firmware.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    KM 5500i

Also, you're not backing anything up to USB. You're loading special firmware on which adds U026. This code allows you to back up the eeprom to the HDD, then restore it to the new eeprom.
    Load special firmware. Reboot machine & run 026 backup. Install new chip & power on, then restore in u026. Power off then reload full firmware.
    I read that but it just would not run the backup firmware, I going to get a smaller usb, the one i used was 80gig. like i said earlier i tried to install the backup firmware and for all the listed files on the copier screen it said no change.. just for the hell i looked for Sim 026, it was not active. so i will check it out to see if maybe because it already has the chip installed it wont run again.....Thanks again...

KM 5500i

Make sure you've got the correct special firmware for that model. There are different ones for the color boxes. I would think of it was the USB drive, it would just boot normal as if it couldn't read it.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    KM 5500i

Make sure you've got the correct special firmware for that model. There are different ones for the color boxes. I would think of it was the USB drive, it would just boot normal as if it couldn't read it.
    Thanks to all of you that contributed, I check the chip, it was old. so i went to walmart got a 8 gigger and what do you know it worked.. thanks a great deal for all the effort..
    Bill